D-Link DSL-300T -> Pipex UK

Timmargh

Wheelchair hoodlum
Just taken delivery of a second-hand D-Link DSL-300T ethernet modem because I was getting cheesed of with my Alcatel SpeedTouch 330 USB modem, but I'm having trouble setting it up.

I'm entering all the correct details on the modem configuration screens but it just won't connect.

I'm slowly getting confused as I have no idea what the difference between PPPoE, PPPoA and Bridge are!

Does anyone else have this modem on Pipex or knows whether or not it should work?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm on pipex adsl. I have a different modem but I'll try and look at my settings when I get home (if I remember).

Is it definately the modem that's not connecting.

What are the symptoms?

I've configured the modem ...

d-link.jpg

... using the settings for Pipex ...

pipex.jpg

The power light is steady green :))), the status light flashes (which is normal, according to the manual :)) and the ethernet light is steady green with occasional "data being transferred" flashing (i.e. irregular :)). Unfortunately, the ADSL light doesn't do anything :)().

According to the modem's system log, the "DSL carrier is training" and shortly after that "DSL carrier is down".

My connection is fine (I'm using my current USB modem right now) and I've tried two different modem->adsl cables, both of which work with my USB modem. The ethernet cable is fine (the computer can see and talk to the modem) and according to several websites, the D-Link will work with every UK ISP except AOL.

sorry, I forgot to look last night.

From your screen shots - did you just edit your username in the screen shot of your setup so that we didn't see it, or is it actually enetered as that?

Also, I seem to remember when doing my setup that the username was a problem as the pipex instructions said to have XXX.pipex.YYY but it needed to be AAA.pipex.BBB (I can't remember what the XXX, YYY, AAA, or BBBs were though; also, I can't remember if this was for the modem setup or something else, like email).

You also don't seem to have the 'ITU G.dmt' bit specified anywhere. With my modem I'm pretty sure I had to specify the 'G.dmt' bit.

I found this on the pipex support site, it may be some help

https://www.mypipex.net/prtl-images...r/standard/dlink504/mac/osx/img-9-400x320.gif

Also, try looking at the different router set-ups on offer through this page:

https://www.mypipex.net/solo/support/?s=1-installconnection

(you'll need to log in to the site first).

Have you tried contacting Pipex support at all?

Thanks for the reply. :)

My username is in there properly (aqof72@xtreme2.pipex.net) but it's just scrolled out of view in the text box.

The username for login needs to be 'aqof72@...', but for email it needs to be 'aqof72%...'.

The 'ITU G.dmt' is specified on the 'Modem setup" page, although the option is simply 'G.dmt'.

Cheers for the links, and yes: I've emailed Pipex but will be ringing them today because they haven't replied.

Thanks again for the help - I'll let you know how I get on.

Back