Daaang.. Apple just keeps rollin' out the punches

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
Sheesh!

In late September (after a long hellish wait) we saw the release of OS X 10.1. Then we got refreshed iBooks and PowerBooks in the second week of October. Late October, we got iTunes 2 (and announcement of iPod). Then we get iDVD 2 (shipping), and now the iPod is shipping. And today, Apple rolls out Airport 2, with support for AOL and 128-bit encryption, and my most-wanted feature, ANOTHER ethernet port so you can route all non-wireless Macs through the base station! Plus we've seen a security update, an installer update, and an IE security update in the midst of all this.

Dang, Apple, when are you gonna stop? Not that I'm complaining, though. :D

I just hope the rumors of a flat-panel iMac and PowerMac G5s surfacing (or at least announced) at MWSF turn out to be true --- don't worry, though, I'm not getting my hopes up. Oh, and Final Cut Pro for OS X might be announced at the DV Expo, too.

This has got to be the most packed month-and-a-half for Apple releases. Maybe we'll be seeing iMovie 3 by December, at this rate! ;)

Any thoughts on what you really want to see next?

Apple have bought the rights to Windoze XP and have relegated it for use as the lavatory flushing system interface in Cuppertino.;)

Otherwise, just more of those Adobe apps to be a rollin'!

(and some nice news on the G5, we need to start catching up with the Jones!)

and another thing, I don't like restarting! :D

2:34AM up 24 days, 1:27, 4 users, load averages: 1.65, 1.74, 1.65

Got my new machine on October 6th, restarted one week later to install my router, then another week for the security update. I never installed iTunes 2.0.1, I was waiting for another update. Had too much going on tonight, so I'll do both iTunes and 10.1.1 tomorrow morning. :)

Get this:

Under OS X, the chief cause of making the user restart the computer is...

... updates to the system software! :D

On a totally unrelated note, what was the build number of OS X 10.0? 4K68 or something like that?

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
I've heard horror stories about 10.1.1 :p
I am afraid to update :p
Don't worry! Just be ready for your machine to sit on the stationary beach ball for a short time upon launching OS X after the update is applied. It's not frozen--just checking the disks.

Really, upgrade to 10.1.1, nothing to be afraid of. I did it last night on my G4, not a problem. In fact, I've never had a problem with installing any Apple software. In my opinion, there is nothing to fear ever if you have important stuff backed. Easy for me to say I guess, as I don't depend on my computer for my lively hood... yet.

Sam

I did the update on my TiBook 400 with 512megs of Ram and it worked fast and great. The best thing I ever did was toss out that crap Apple RAM. I installed 2 sticks of 256mb CL 2-2-2 and this bad boy flies like a bat out of hell. The Apple mem was CL3-3-3. I know that 2-2-2 is faster, but is it a big performance increase?

Now I run VirtPC in OS X with Win 98, Office XP, and Visual Studio Enterprise.

Office v.X is awesome!

ericb

Back