dang powerbooks won't boot!

ballsandy

Registered
I own two powerbooks:

-a powerbook 520
-a powerbook duo 230

A few months ago i found a japanese language kit that was made by apple. It was the complete set of 15 disks and were not damaged. I first proceeded to install it on the 520 but when the setup failed i got confused. I then shut off the powerbook to go to work and when i came back later that day the strangest thing happened.

I turned on the powerbook and it showed the happy mac but then a moment later the screen filled with lines and squares for a second then a moment after that i saw the question mark disk. Since i was running os 7.5.3 i am no longer able to use my emergency disks besides my os 8 emergency disk.
A week later i tried the install on my duo while docked and this time halfway through the install the power supply inside my dock failed and the computer shut down. Again, i got the same strange bootup problem as before and since my dock is dead i no longer have access using a floppy drive.
is there a way to boot up a mac with a floppy and allow files to be transferred via local talk or am i in serious trouble.

Have you been able to start your powerbooks with Disk one of 7.5.3 ?

The lesson learned here is never shut down your computer after a failed install. - or even a good install. You need to restart the computer, then shut down.

well you see when i got the duo and the 520 i did not get the disks.
I do have 7.5.3 but it is one large setup file. (all the disks in one executable program)
Where can i get it in disk format for either 1.44 meg or 800k?

Those are the files i downloaded that have 7.5.3.
I don't understand though how you install it on a computer that won't boot.
However i am wondering about the System 7.5 Network Access floppy disk.
Where can i get it?
Does it support localtalk? (serial-to-serial)
Oh, and do you think it would be wise to just wipe the drives on both the 520 and the duo before installing to make shure that there is no errors that will occur after install? I don't have any important info on the computers, just old files i got when i bought the laptops.

Sorry for the delay in answering.

You need to download each part and place them on their own floppy. Disk 1 is the one you start the computer with.

In order to wipe the drives, you need a floppy with Drive Setup on it as well as a simple system folder on it in order to start up the computer and erase and format the hard drive.

If my memory serves me correctly, Network Access installs the files needed to connect to the internet.
Local Talk is installed with System 7.5

I don't have that many floppies!
However, i have managed to secure a scsi adapter that fits the minidock and the pb 520, i however don't have an apple drive. What should i do now?

I am not sure what you mean by Apple Drive. Do you mean an external drive?

Back