(Dar)wine at the press of a button?

ChrisM666

Registered Idiot
Although I have fiddled with 'Get Info' and RCDefaultApp I can't find a way to make Windows .EXE files default to launch on double-clicking. (They currently default to Unarchiver.app :-( ) I know that I can make aliases to each .exe I want to open but would rather have any I install default to darwine.

What should I be doing to make it happen?

Of course, that's how I know that I have a problem of sorts.

Do you know how to make a double-click on a Windows .exe file cause it to be (or attempt to be) launched by Darwine or Winehelper or similar?

Do you know how to make a double-click on a Windows .exe file cause it to be (or attempt to be) launched by Darwine ...
That's what DarWINE is supposed to do. It is not an application. It is a clone of Windows APIs for Unix-like operating systems. If double-clicking a Windows app does not launch it, then DarWINE and/or the app are/is not properly installed. It is, however, important to remember that WINE is not compatible with all Windows apps, only a subset of them.

Three questions:
  1. Is your DarWINE properly installed?
  2. Are your Windows apps WINE-compatible?
  3. Are your Windows apps properly installed?

I am fully aware of what wine and darwine are supposed to do. My concern was whether OSX would respond to the 'foreign' apps behind the wine-interface in the same way as it did to OSX apps. It was not doing so for me, hence my OP. I

t is now seeming to do so, why now and not before I bothered the good people of MacOSX.com, I don't know. No further re-installations, re-boots or re-jigging was done. Maybe it just got bored with its joke and started behaving normally. I'm happy now.

Thanks for your help here and on other topics.

The REAL problem is getting Picasa to launch in response to the connection of my camera, as iPhoto does at present. The above two utilities can't, it seems, for the stated reason.

Back