Dashboard: Useless outside the USA?

123promotion

Registered
I like the idea of the dashboard system but the weather, yellow pages and others which need location input seem utterly useless unless you are from the USA.

Unless i am being a huge drongo, i cannot find out how to input UK data.

I welcome anyone to call me a drongo and show me what i am doing wrong, so that i can it sorted :)

Erh... AccuWeather finds Winterthur in Switzerland. And no UK locations? I don't believe it.

fryke said:
Erh... AccuWeather finds Winterthur in Switzerland. And no UK locations? I don't believe it.

You are seeing the weather from Winterthur, Delaware (USA) i imagine.

I found that you have to do the following, which is not very intuitive.....

Type in xxxx, country (ie manchester, united kingdom) and press ENTER - NOT click on the "Done" button.

Not very mac-like, i dont think.

you have to hit return when entering the weather thing. it brings up a list of 24-odd manchesters in different states and the real one at the bottom.

it was here first. it's the real one

You can definately check weather worldwide, I have my weather working perfectly here in Australia.

You have to go to the website that Dashboard uses to access weather (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/). There you will have to change your default location, so in your case you can't have it set on North America. Set it up, then in Dashboard type in your nearest capital city and you should get something.

Oh, I have Zurich, Switzerland, not Winterthur Delaware or Switzerland. But that's 20km from Winterthur, so that's no problem.

Yes, define / select country .. so if it finds weather for even Ireland, it for sure does find it for UK ;)

Yup, I had Paris, Texas until I remembered to enter France, US cities get precedence. Although I would hardly put Paris, Texas in same bracket as the city of light ;-)

Dock is frozen,
everything else works fine.
John.

It's showing rain for Manchester, when it's perfectly sunny here.

How come accuweather has the correct location for my home town, but the widget can't display it?

Hey,

i live in Australia, and have Tiger.

The dashboard system doesnt seem to work to its full capacity in countries outside the U.S.

My yellow pages doesnt seem to work at all, even though ive tried millions of combos for location details. It just says "No Results Found" when i make a search.

Also, the Flight tracker system seams to be a bit backward, the times and the status of flight never change...whats the story with that?

I mean really, im not pro with mac, and use it for minor work and leisure. So these small cool sounding gadgets were major drawcards for me to get tiger. And little did i know that it was gonna do nothing for me cos i dont live in the U.S.

Apple shouldve done more to alert non-americans that dashboard would be useless.

So if you think u can help sort out some of my issues that'd be great.

tks.

I live in the Netherlands and I have the same issue. The problem is related to what database the widget checks, so you will have to wait until someone makes a widget that only checks the Aussie Yellow Pages database.

A lot of work is being done right now by developers to make new widgets. (This site for example). I guess patience is the only option you have, apart from buiilding the widget yourself!

Incidentally, I can understand from Apple's perspective that it's a bit too much to ask to make widgets for each and every country...their point was to provide you with a basic set that shows off the abilities. If I were developing Tiger against a deadline, I would hate to dedicate a whole team just to making Yellow Page widgets for Uzbekistan, Somalia and Costa Rica.

Yea i can see where your coming from, but still i would have appreciated some warning. Oh well, ill just wait till some champion decides to put out a host of widgets for Australia :D

I really think this is much worse for the dictionary service than Dashboard. Dashboard at least shows me my weather... Dictionary speaks only English, and only one kind, it seems.

I feel the onboard widgets are a bit pants for people who live outside of the US, but its not going to take long before 3rd parties start developing cool widgets for us. I'm hoping someone develops a UK based yellow pages type widget, another cool one would be a Vue cinema's widget, which tells you which films are on and at what time at your local cinema, in fact thinking about it the list of potential widgets is endless :)

I really hope that Dashboard will have better international support than Sherlock ever had - and soon. It seems much more attractive to both users and developers alike, and I even guess that _that_ was some of the thought behind it (i.e. Sherlock's non-success).

After all: It's up to you. Everyone's a webdesigner, and Dashboard widgets are just little Javascript apps embedded in XHTML containers. You don't have to use Cocoa, but you can, too...

I really hope that Dashboard will have better international support than Sherlock ever had - and soon. It seems much more attractive to both users and developers alike, and I even guess that _that_ was some of the thought behind it (i.e. Sherlock's non-success).

After all: It's up to you. Everyone's a webdesigner, and Dashboard widgets are just little Javascript apps embedded in XHTML containers. You don't have to use Cocoa, but you can, too...

Back