Dat Import to Macosx G5

juliatmartins

Registered
I have to import Dat to my Osx G5. I figure there are two digital ports, right? The firewire connection and the TOSLink optical digital port.
But the digital outputs in the Dat are SPDIF and AES/EBU.
I´d like to know what is the better choice to make two of these alternatives compatible, in terms of price, availability or quality (I imagine it makes no difference?).
One more thing: Is there anyway I can import the timecode from the Dat, which comes from a AES/EBU output.
Thank you

Using the Toslink port on the Mac is out of the question, as this is an output only, and not an input. It sounds like you'll be looking for an AES/EBU adapter that plugs into Firewire or USB.

Get an Audiophile from M-Audio. Its about $1-200, connects through USB and and takes S/PDIF. It worked fine for me importing DAT tapes for a 90min movie. You might be able to get something cheaper PCI.

Unfortunately it doesn;t carry the TC through, but I am old school slate fan so I don't care. You will have to get higher-end equipment if you want TC as well or get a seperate TC input. But it might not be that much more expensive anymore, eg: Marian Marc X 24 bit/96 kHz digital S/PDIF, AES/EBU, ADAT, stereo analog I/O $499.

Back