Data Exchange

villasjack

Registered
THis has likely been answered already but I can't find such.
Under OS 9, I could format my Jump drive for travel in a format that allowed my MAC to read it and also PC's at the homes of the Ludites that I call friends.
I had data on the Jump drive which had been formatted MAC, and could not read it on a PC. Re-Formatted it for Windows and could not read the word files I had created on my friends PC.
Is there no way to arrange my Flash drive such that I can exchange Office documents and Jpeg pictures
between a windows system and my Mac? My thumb drive is only 500 MB so large files are not the problem.

I run a G5 with 10.4.9

Thanks,
Jack Hannon

When you reformatted the drive, you lost all previously stored data. Your thumb drive was formatted for MS-DOS out-of-the-box. MacO S X will handle it out-of-the-box. MacOS 9 will also handle it out-of-the-box if you have the File Exchange control panel loaded. If you reformat your drive for the Mac, then it will work great on other Macs. However, it will not work at all on MS-DOS/Windows unless a third-party utility like MacDrive is installed.

Thanks, I am hearing something about a FAT 32 format?? Would that be compatible on both systems? If so Where do I get the ability to format that way.

Jack

Macs will read/write to Fat32 discs.

Disk Utility will format as Fat32. Just choose MS-DOS

Back