Database Software

billyd380

Registered
We are currently working on developing a database, but we were going to build it in Access 2003. I just relized that Office X doesn't have a utility to open Access 2003 files. Is there any that does or should we go another route?

Thanks for the help,

Bill

You might consider mysql.

There's a mysql administrator front-end for OS X as well as Windows that would allow users to add and modify records.....

Downside is the access to administrative tasks right there in front of them and an interface that may appear daunting to everyday users.....

I use MySQL/Apache/PHP combo to throw out the data in a browser to the users and let them have access to only what we want to......they can modify, add, delete records, view reports, etc....but we don't let them modify any table structure or anything of that nature....

Just a thought.

Take care,

C.

billyd380 said:
We are currently working on developing a database, but we were going to build it in Access 2003. I just relized that Office X doesn't have a utility to open Access 2003 files. Is there any that does or should we go another route?

Thanks for the help,

Bill
If you want to run Access on the Mac, you are SOL. Microsoft's database access system is Windows-only. But, my child, there is good news. There is good news, but you are are going to have to repent your evil ways. Cast off the darkness of proprietary Microsoft solutions and accept the light of cross-platform compatibility.

You have several righteous paths available to you, my son. If you want a commercial solution, you may follow the path hewn by Apple subsidiary FileMaker. FileMaker's merits have earned it the top spot among Mac database developers and the second spot among Windows database developers. There exists another commercial path that many of the righteous have followed. Like FileMaker, it is cross-platform. It is even available to some at no charge. To walk this path, you need to unfetter yourself from the limits of this 3-dimensional existence and enter the 4th Dimension. You do not have to render unto Caesar that which you have earned to follow a righteous path. MySQL may be your salvation. And lest ye forget, it too is cross-platform.

Rise and sin no more.

Thanks for the quick responses. I have heard nothing but good things about FileMaker, but I just don't know that much about it. I will have to do some research. I will also take a look at the 4th Dimension. I have been slowly learning the ways of The Apple and my mind is open to it. I just need the right guidance to take me to the places I have yet to see.

Thanks and if I come across some question during my journey I will post them here.

Bill

Back