Databases and Max OS X

valentinh

Registered
Has anyone noticed that one of the reasons why noone considers the MAC a robust commercial platform is the total lack of real GUI database tools (with the exception of FileMaker Pro) ?

PHP, MySQL and in general the UNIX roots of OS X are extremely powerful, but how can you play with this things if it takes a UNIX genius to get the work even on the MAC ?

and once you get them working, there is no single graphical interface tool to create, databases, tables, relations, views or anything else for MySQL !!!

GoLive and Dreamweaver come well suited to interface with PHP to MySQL, but how in heaven do you actually create the table definitions in MySQL other than literally coding the stuff by hand !!

I may be blind, but i have sen no such tols around OS X..and Filemaker..Pleeeeasssseeeeee ! toy compared to MySql and PHP........!

Anyon willing to take on tis task...who know you may be the next "gates" for the OS industry, at least in the MAC World....

I wish FileMaker was as cheap to deploy on the web as PHP and MySQL. The MySQL part is very very easy. GUI wise the only choice is phpMyAdmin. And well PHP is a programming language so you have to code. It would be nice if there was some sort of framework that could be used but I don't think there is one.

Lastly Dreamweaver and GoLive both suck with the database stuff. It is completely usuless for a relational database. It works great for a database that isn't normalized but the whole idea of using a database is so it is normalized and relational.

any alternative to GL oir DW to integrate nice Dynamic HTML/Databse applications...? NOT...so far none that I know of...point taken...that is why the Mac cannot be considered a robust commercial platform, the day we see this applicvation join the MAC wagon...

I'll put my money on OS X...

phpMyAdmin is fantastic.

There's also a great php library out there called ezSQL which makes it amazingly easy to interface with mySQL.

php.justvincent.com

Just learn PHP and love it. It's a great scripting language.

And FileMaker isn't really that much of a toy. I administer/develop it on a lan with 50 users. It works quite well, with very fast development time.

It also works really well in a web sense, when you return XML, parse it with PHP, then spit it out to the browser.

Then again, I guess you do have to pay for it. It all comes down to how deep your pockets are and how much time you have to spare.

another great program for MySQL is found at http://www.macosguru.de/download/index.html . This software even comes with a OS X native installer for MySQL. As already mentioned PHP is a program language, you just have to learn it. As for installing PHP apple made it pretty easy by including it with the OS. I have already posted detailed instructions on how to activate it.

Back