DAVE for FREE!

knighthawk

Registered
I just saw this posted on versiontracker, but here is the company address...

DAVE has been a Mac to PC file sharing program like Samba and/or Sharity. DAVE allows you to connect to PCs as well as host your own folders so that PCs can access them.

Best of all, this program is very easy to use, and at least for now is FREE. Requires OSX 10.0.4

www.thursby.com

You know what's going to happen: 10.1 will be released, and then we won't be able to use Dave if we upgrade. D'oh!

-Rob

Anyone have any opinions on which is better? I'm using Sharity at the moment and it's fine...

So, with Dave, is it possible to give the Explorer a computer's IP address and view its list of shares? I seem to remember this being possible on a real Windows machine (when the Windows file sharing was actually working correctly,) so there must be some way of doing it.

Originally posted by davidbrit2
So, with Dave, is it possible to give the Explorer a computer's IP address and view its list of shares? I seem to remember this being possible on a real Windows machine (when the Windows file sharing was actually working correctly,) so there must be some way of doing it.

Read apple's site carefully. a smb client will be integrated into Finder. in other word, files shared by windows machines can be accessed right in Finder.
one thing they didn't mention is whether OS X can use printers shared by Windows machines.

actually those things are not what made me happy. the boosted performance is way more exciting.

the current OS X is way slower than Windows 2000. Apple had some benchmarks between P4 and a G4, in most area P4 outperform G4 by at least 40%. and Apple's argument was those programs weren't optimized for G4. but they failed to mention none of those apps they tested on P4 are optimized for P4. there are plenty comparsion on this topic(P4 vs Althon) also apple failed to mention the Power G4 they compared with P4 is at least 100%($3500) more expensive than the P4.

On my Home Althon 1.1G PC ($700, 256M, 40G IBM Deskstar and 32M GForce video), Windows2000 launchs any apps in less than 2 seconds. I hope Apple can bring 10.1 to the same level.

I just read about the new OSX coming out, but it will not be available until sometime September. It did say that it would incorporate SAMBA into it to allow sharing between PCs and Macs. I have not played with SAMBA, so I would assume if it can use shared printers through the mac, then so will the update to OSX 10.1.

I sounds like to me that the update is so major, that they are only going to be offering it on CD. Anyone know if this is true? Will this be like a "gonna install OSX for the nth time..."

As far as the applications starting quicker, Apple says two things... 1) They are going to open 2 to 3x faster. 2) Your applications will be ready before you are.

Sounds like a contradiction to me!!! I am ready 10x faster than the computer can load! =)

Originally posted by rharder
You know what's going to happen: 10.1 will be released, and then we won't be able to use Dave...
Originally posted on http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversion/
We’ve also added support to natively connect to Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Unix-based SAMBA file servers with the built-in SMB client.
Won't 10.1 make Dave mute? The way I read it DAVE won't be necessary.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Back