David Brent working for Microsoft....

steven_lufc said:
Hahaha

Just stopped laughing enough to bring you this. David Brent, the creation of Ricky Gervais, has been hired by Microsoft to star in their training videos. Whatever next, Dr Shipman taking their first aid courses...[/url]

Or what about Alan Partridge giving lectures on diplomacy in the media industry?

All good stuff!

Old Ricky picked up a couple of Golden Globes for the Office. The very fact that the Americans actually get it is a bit of giggle in itself.

Wait a minute! Is that a moderator coming to move this thread into the Café?.. :D

octane said:
Old Ricky picked up a couple of Golden Globes for the Office. The very fact that the Americans actually get it is a bit of giggle in itself.

Yea, especially as he was thinking about customising (customizing) it for the American market.

Looks like he doesn't have to now.........

Customizing? I hope that they don't change "The Office" for we Americans. It's perfect as is. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I must say this as well, I take offense to remarks like, "The very fact that the Americans actually get it is a bit of giggle in itself." Okay, I don't really take offense, but I was very surprised while teaching English in Japan how many Britons assumed we Americans didn't understand irony and sarcasm. I remember I didn't like British comedy as a youngster, but that's because I didn't understand sarcasm and irony. Now I do, and I can't get enough British comedy. I digress. Anyway, "David Brent" is an excellent fit for Microsoft. They think they're much better than they really are and they refuse to see themselves for what they really are.

sjb2016 said:
I take offense to remarks like, "The very fact that the Americans actually get it is a bit of giggle in itself." Okay, I don't really take offense, but I was very surprised while teaching English in Japan how many Britons assumed we Americans didn't understand irony and sarcasm...

Well really! You ought to take a chill pill there my friend. I did NOT write the above with the thought of annoying our westward cousins.

I would never make the make mistake of taring an entire nation of people with the same brush, but Americans as a whole aren't exactly renown for their grasp of irony, sarcasm and cynicism.

As an example, Friends. It's truly awful! It's that kind of inane, pantomime 'hey look! A joke cometh!' obvious humor that I just get the heebigeebies about.

But then, all of this is a little academic, really .. I don't like The Office! The embarrassing set pieces make my skin crawl. I had three and half years of that when I worked in Leeds some years ago. My boss _was_ David Brent!

I just think it's great that some of our talent travels well without the customary tweaks 'n' tucks.

I think that was an apology .. I'm sure, though! :D

Ah, the emotionless medium known as the internet. I certainly had no intention of coming across as being upset or the like. No need to apologize. I agree, "Friends" and that ilk are decidedly terrible. Thank God for reality t.v., errrrrr. Anyway, I soon hope to be attending graduate school in the U.K. Perhaps we can get together and you can confuse me with your sarcasm, lose some of your irony on me, and make me feel jaded with some of your cynicism. You see, Mac users love, we don't hate. :)

sjb2016 said:
Anyway, I soon hope to be attending graduate school in the U.K. Perhaps we can get together and you can confuse me with your sarcasm, lose some of your irony on me, and make me feel jaded with some of your cynicism...

Cynicism is good! ;)

Back