Dead AirPort card?

davidbrit2

Licensed Computer Geek
Here's the scenario: I'm sitting in class, my iBook is connected to the campus network via 802.11b, and around 6:30 PM, the signal disappears. Attempts to reconnect fail with the usual message - "There was an error joining the selected AirPort network." Since then, I haven't been able to connect to anything.

I have reinstalled the latest AirPort drivers for 10.2.8, I have cleared the PRAM, I've run the Apple hardware test (which says it's fine,) and even tried connecting to the network with OS 9.2.1. In all cases, the computer acts like the card is fine, but no traffic goes in or out.

I have even tried running a particular piece of wireless ethernet monitoring software, and it sees no packets appear on any channel.

So here's the question: is the card dead? Or is the antenna going bad? And is there an easy way to tell which it is?

i had something like this happen to me, only at home. the signal came on for about 1 minute every 5 days. i checked my sister's iBooks AP card, and put it in mine. internet worked. so i knew the connection was fine. then i wanted to test my actual card, so i put mine in hers and the errors happened. i bought a new airport card through edu. for $71

edit: 1 post from 300!

Alright, thanks for the input. I'll probably just do the ol' educational discount thing, too. It's not like I need it immediately.

Back