Dead iBook G4!!!

Hypernate

McGeek
I am distraught. I precious, precious iBook G4... is DEAD!

Last night, I was using it, on my bed, and then suddenly, everything just froze... no kernal panic screen, everythign jsut stopped, and my hard drive was making really scary clicking noises....

I lifted the computer up, and the bottom, especially under the HDD, was too hot to touch....

So I held th epowerbutton to turn it off, and I left it sittin gon ymy desk for about 16 hours... now when I try to turn it on, (cooled down of course), it turns on, makes the horrible clicking noises, and sits on the grey apple logo indefinately.

I tried the hardware test CD, but it just sat on the loading logo, and made the clicking noises, and I tried booting it up as FireWire Target and connecting it to my iMac; made clicking noises, went into Target mode, but won't mount on the iMac.

I then tried booting the iMac as Target, and holdign option on the iBook... it just clicked and gave me the watch indefinately and didn't show anything up....

I'm really worried now....

Can anyone PLEASE help me/!

well, I dunno loads about this, but aren't you supposed to make sure that your laptop can 'breathe' (cool down) it maybe that the vents were blocked on your bed, and it over heated. Anyway whatever, its new, and if the hardware test CD doesn't even work I'd get on the phone to apple, if you start now (in my experience) they might just repair it be easter :S

Call to Apple .. Apple Care or whichever support number you have. I odn't know the number for Apple Australia .. :( good luck. I hope they can fix it soon.

Yeah, I HATE Apple's 'customer service'. I honestly believe that it is one of the worst in ANY company. At least Dell will help customers. I had an issue with my iPod, and after they had it three months, they returned it saying I had damaged it myself. Which I hadn't.

Basically, if Apple won't repair it, I'll use the Visa card warantee to replace it, or get the department store I bough tit from (David Jones) to either get it repaired or replace it. Because this shouldn't have happened. The air vents were clear. The only thing was it wasn't able to dissipate heat from the bottom. I did lift it every 10 or 15 mins though to let it cool a little.

Anyway, enough of my rant, lol.

I just hope someone here can hlep me try to salvage my school work! I had 3 assignments on there, ready to print out! Typical! And to think I was goign to back up today.

I tried calling AppleCare. But, since I don't live on the east coast, they are closed. I have to call them DURING MY SCHOOL HOURS!

I can't. It's rediculous. I'm goign to have to try though. Why don't they have a 24 hour line?

OK - update:

It just booted to the spinny thing under the appl elogo... but then got a kernel panic on the boot screen...

Now try booting with the hardware test cd or the OS Cd and run Disk utility -(at install screen go to the installer menu and select Disk Utility).

Back