Dead Mac Pro

Paramita

Registered
So, I'm a happy camper, just got a new Mac Pro desktop 2.66ghz, the radeon video card, all RAM from apple. Very nice machine, working great, until...windows...

Windows seems to suck the happiness out of the very air surrounding the machine. I had everything running smoothly, windows XP installed on a seperate harddrive. Then I tried to run parallels from the mac side using my bootcamp partition, the seperate harddrive. This froze up my machine, no grey screen or anything, just froze, so i rebooted and low and behold: Grey screen of death immediately at start up. The XP partition still works, just the OS X does not. It freezes at the apple logo right at startup. I tried going into Single User mode (Command S) at startup which works and did the /sbin/fsck -fy which tells me that everything "appears to be OK" but if I try to either sh /etc/rc to boot the system or /sbin/mount -uw / to modify files, it kernel panics and thats that. I get "Unresolved Kernel trap (CPU 0, type 14=page fault), then lists the registers and backtracer which doesn't backtrace to anything but is "terminated-invalid frame pointer 0xbffffdd8"

Please help, I'm getting desperate here, after this I'm completely wiping my Windows partition and never looking back. What a nightmare.

Thanks for the help

If you have Diskwarrior 4 I would try booting your Mac Pro up on the CD and rebuild the directory and repair permissions. Diskwarrior has saved me many a time.

I had no end of problems trying to instal XP on the second HD of my Mac Pro 266, finally just giving up and erasing it completely and vowing never to pollute my Mac again! Now I just have another instal of a basic MacOS X on the second drive for troubleshooting.

Back