Debian och FreeBSD?

Matsaki

Registered
I have heard and read articles that Debian handles databases like MySQL much faster then freeDSB. Is that true?

I am planing to place a new server and have to use a friends PC for that :(
so now I am confused what OS to run??

Matsaki said:
I have heard and read articles that Debian handles databases like MySQL much faster then freeDSB. Is that true?

I am planing to place a new server and have to use a friends PC for that :(
so now I am confused what OS to run??

Generally speaking, MySQL has been faster on Linux than on FreeBSD. However, you can get quite a speed improvement by compiling MySQL 4.x with Linux threads. Specifically, check out the WITH_LINUXTHREADS option for /usr/ports/databases/mysql40-server/. If you search Google, you should be able to find an article that some guy wrote regarding his benchmarks of MySQL 4.x w/Linux threads compared to "normal" MySQL 4.x and 3.23.x.

My own comparisons confirm that here is a definite performance enhancement to be had. I recenrly migrated a server from FreeBSD 4.9-R w/Apache 1.3.29, PHP 4.3.4, and MySQL 3.23.51 to FreeBSD 5.2-R w/Apache 2.0.48, PHP 4.3.4, and MySQL 4.0.15. The database is quite a bit faster and PHP is MUCH faster. For reference, the machines are both dual 1GHz P3's w/2G RAM and 10K RPM SCSI disks.

OK, lots of details and I'm not necessarily sure I answered your question. I say this...if you prefer FreeBSD, go that route and give FreeBSD 5.2 a try with MySQL 4.x w/Linux threads. If you prefer Linux, go that route and use your favorite distro. :)

Hope this helps.

- G!mpy

Back