debug code?

sourfunk

Registered
I keep reading a lot of people saying that OSXPB still uses debug code. However, I have never heard anybody from apple say this. Is this just contagous speculation?

Hold 's' while your computer starts up. Single user mode will load up.... Look for something that sais "debug." Notice how it tell your that it is on.........

It's not just the case that it's debugging code, it's that the code hasn't been OPTIMIZED yet :)
Well, inside Apple it has, but not for the public yet.

You can expect to see performance gains when the final version is released. And that person talking about single user mode obviously has no idea what he/she's talking about - single user mode is for DEBUGGING YOUR SYSTEM when it gets farked, something that's been rolled over since BSD most likely. Like debugging your configuration files and things. :)

He might be talking about this line I pulled from the output of dmesg: \"BMacEnet: Debugger client attached\".

I\'m sure there\'s alot of \"debugging code\" in there, but trust me, an extra if(foo) here and there doesn\'t make a huge difference in performance. I\'d be more worried about code optimization than I was about Apple dropping -DDEBUG or whatever from the compile flags.

Terry

Grrr. What is causing my posts to escape certain things. That is down right annoying. I guess I will just have to avoid using contractions. I bet it is a conspiracy. This board software has grammar nazis built into it.

Terry

I think what most people are referring to as \"debug code\" is routines inserted into proggies that spit out throwaway results as it chugs throught the program. Where a prog. fails is easier to spot if it fails to return a throwaway result. Then a lot of code can be eliminated as a culprit by the next expected result being returned or not returned.

Does that make any sense?

Originally posted by ITz The MaN
Hold \'s\' while your computer starts up. Single user mode will load up.... Look for something that sais \"debug.\" Notice how it tell your that it is on.........

Well, that\'s about as suprising as saying booting up in safe moe in windows is \"safe.\" Single user mode is a debugging mode that you to fix problems with your system. When you exit out of it, you exiting out of single user/debug mode. So that message isn\'t telling you anything useful.

But anyway, from what I\'ve heard, OSX\'s code has been going through a lot of optimization, so it will be faster by the release; hopefully they\'ll hit their 64MB target for recomended ram...

F-bacher

In project builder, in the compile settings, you can choose either no optimization or levels 1-3 of optimization. The higher you go the faster the program will run but by the time you get to level 3 it is almost impossible to debug. Since this is a beta I doubt apple are highly optimizing their programs but by the release they certainly will be.

peter

Back