December 2001 Dev Tools

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
Has anyone else been having trouble downloading the December 2001 developer tools at http://connect.apple.com ? Every time I try to download it, it says my user number and "Access Denied". Any suggestions?

Originally posted by simX
Has anyone else been having trouble downloading the December 2001 developer tools at http://connect.apple.com ? Every time I try to download it, it says my user number and "Access Denied". Any suggestions?

You are not alone Sim, you're not coo-koo. Apple's servers are bogged down and having problems (including Japan and Asia). It will likely be resolved by 8:00AM PST tomorrow. I'm glad to see you excited about Dev Tools. :)

Apple continues to release great stuff for both developers and consumers alike -- iTunes X 2.0.3 is out now already (as an example of iPod support and other customer support related issues). Kudos, Apple.

...but it's slow as shit, think 56k speeds through a broadband connection :rolleyes:

You could copy the url your browser is pointed to (ftp with logon) and feed it to wget (with background and retry options), so you don't have to bother trying again and again. I give it this line:

Code:
wget -b -t 0 -c -o devtools.log {URL from browser}

This will fork a wget (-b) that keeps retrying (-t 0), will try to resume if the download breaks (-c) instead of starting all over again, and spits out a logfile called devtools.log.

Hope this helps =]

Oh, one more note, you need wget, which isn't standard anymore. I got it through Fink. For curl, I think it's "curl -c -O {URL} &" (note the ampersand). Keep in mind that it won't fork, so you really shouldn't close the terminal you type this in =].
But I'm not a curl freak, so there may be better ways.

Yeah, they're busy but do try what the email from Apple suggested and try all the regional downloads. I finally got mine the night I got the email by downloading from Japan (I think).

'kinda feel bad about eating the trans-oceanic bandwidth...but not too bad.

-Rob

Back