Decrease in browser speed...

granthac

Registered
...but my BT speeds seem unaffected. Does anyone have any ideas? I just noticed that my Safari and Firefox load very slowly, but I am still getting good speeds on Azureus (150-200Kb). My ISP is Comcast and I am using an airport express. I have my firewall on, and the appropriate ports are open. This really wouldn't bother me too much, but it is horribly slow. I might as well have dial-up. This happened fairly recently, before that it was fine. HELP!!
Thanks!

...but my BT speeds seem unaffected. Does anyone have any ideas? I just noticed that my Safari and Firefox load very slowly, but I am still getting good speeds on Azureus (150-200Kb). My ISP is Comcast and I am using an airport express. I have my firewall on, and the appropriate ports are open. This really wouldn't bother me too much, but it is horribly slow. I might as well have dial-up. This happened fairly recently, before that it was fine. HELP!!
Thanks!

Does the slowdown go away if you shutdown Azureus? Azureus (and indeed most BitTorrent clients) are quite hungry for bandwidth and will typically open mutiple connections on multiple channels just to steal more speed away from other applications.

I try to run Azureus only when I am gone, or late at night. So I do not think that running my azureus has anything to do with my browser speed, since it is rarely on when I am using my computer for everyday internet use.

funny I have been experiencing the exact same problems for a couple of days now. I have noticd that browser speeds have dropped on all the macs in the house, while my PCs still run at 100% of my connection. maybe that recent airport update did something to the 80 port, but some how it only affects macs? I have even tried shuting down everything else to see if it helps, but no. also, i cannot be 10.4.9 or something liek that as one fo the macs in our house hasnt been updated for over 3 months and it still ran slow.

Also, I've noticed that after my PC used BT heavly over night, the airport is verrry slow for the macs. obviously i turn the bt off during the day, but it almost makes me think that the airport is caching up data that it shouldn't be and therefor slowing down. If you reboot the router, speeds increase, but not that much.

I am going to try directly connecting this iMac to the dsl modem and see if that helps, then maybe ill direct connect to the airport.

btw the airport is the new Airport Extreme.

I have been experiencing the same problem at work as the only Mac user. All the Windows machines seem to be fine. I'm connected via ethernet and not using airport at all. The only app I use beyond CS2 and Novell mail client is Cyberduck which is also affected. I'm using a PowerPC G5 with 8GB RAM. Slow as molasses!

I too have been suffering the same problem. Although I have noticed that changing from one browser to another resolves the problem - temporarily - but then the problem returns and it's time to move to another browser. Has anyone asked for support?

You can goto system preferences, open network, show built-in ethernet add in DNS servers:

click apply. Should definetely speed up your web browsing.

Back