Deep Sleep & Fan Noise in Jaguar

type11

Registered
I have a G4/400 AGP machine that will sleep fine in OS9, however in OSX the main fan continues to run and the power light remains on.

Does anyone have any workarounds for this problem?

Could it be one of my PCI cards causing the problem? I have an ATI Radeon 8500, Adaptec 2906, and Digi AMIII card. Also, I read somewhere that it could be a network/ ethernet issue.

Any thoughts... Hopefully the next OSX update will fix the sleep issue for good.

Take the cards out one at a time and see if it sleeps. I would start with the SCSI card.

I have the same Mac, and i had that problem before, I don't have any other cards, I simply woke it, then put it back to sleep and it went to sleep fine. Only happened like 2 times for me.

It's your Adaptec card (I have the exact same one in my Tower). My Tower did the same thing until I got the OSX driver for it, ever since it has worked normally. Remember to have your card correctly terminates too, as OSX is very picky about SCSI termination.

I have the G4/450/AGP variety of the basic machine and I observed that my machine won't not go into a deep sleep under 10.1.5. The monitor would blank out but the hypnotic eye would stay green; not pulsating yellow. Jagurar 10.2 fixed this. This maybe part of the problem depending on what flavor OSX you are running.

I removed all of the PCI cards from my G4/400 AGP. It turned out to be the Digidesign Audiomedia III card that caused the deep sleep problem.

I was able to get the machine to Deep Sleep with the Adaptec 2906 card without any problem.

Back