defective installation disc

Macartist

Registered
I tried to archive and install 10.4 Retail copy on my 17" iMac G5 which has 10.3.9. The installer checked the disc and said it had scratches or fingerprints so to restart. I did, cleaned the disc and tried again. I got the same message but chose to ignore it and proceed and the disc got 36% of the way and said it is damaged and to restart. But it's gone far enough that I have not got 10.3 any more and the ONLY way I can restart the computer is with this defective disc! Or a network but my other Mac, connected with ethernet that worked well, now doesn't see the iMAc any more. I also have an external CD drive , doesn't read DVDs.
Right now I am stuck in the Startup Disk with a choice of endlessly restarting or shutting down. I shut down and it restarted from the disc OK.I checked the system profiler and under applications it shows only Disk utility,Installer,Network Ut, Open Firmware Password, Reset Password,Startup Disk, System Profiler. Under USB, it didn't recognize my external CD drive. Under Disk Utility I tried to repair permissions but it says it has no valid packages.
The person I bought the computer from sent me the Tiger copy discs and included 2 copies of Disc 1. I checked the second but it needs minor repair that couldn't be done with Disk Utility on my other Mac. But if I can somehow eject the disc that is in the 17" iMac (don't know how) will I ever be able to restart?

Have you tried the obvious, power on while pressing and holding the trackpad button?
This is the normal way to eject a CD on startup.

To eject a disc you can press and hold down the mouse while booting or you can hold down the eject button if you are using a Mac keyboard.

Thanks guys for the info. The last time I had to do that there was a little hole to stick the end of a paper clip into. This is definitely a more upscale method! But you don't find these things out til you need them.

Back