Delayed recharging: DC board failure?

rationull

Registered
The other day, for no cause that I can recognize, my powerbook started behaving strangely with respect to battery charging. When I plug in the AC adapter, the computer immediately registers that it's running on AC power, but the battery doesn't start charging until 10-15 seconds later. If I plug it in while it's asleep, it starts charging immediately, but upon waking the machine up it stops charging and eventually starts up again after maybe 20-30 seconds.

This situation is workable.. I wouldn't be worried except it's always started charging immediately. I'm just worried that something is going to completely fail and I'll be left without battery charging (doable) or without a working machine at all (major hassle).

This is a 12" PB G4 1.5 ghz. 13 months old. It's not the adapter or the battery, as I've tested others. I'll do any repairs myself as I'm out of warranty and I'm not worried about being able to do them, but I'm not sure what needs to be replaced. I'm assuming it's either the DC-in board or the other internal power board.

Does anyone recognize this? Which component sounds like the culprit?

Unfortunately, my bit of info here won't help you to diagnose. But it might help to allay any worry.

My computer (15" PB G4) behaves similarly to yours. The 10-15second delay before charging seems familiar... it has regularly performed this way. I have never had any problems with charging.

Likely, others have better info than what I provide here -- I too would be interested in learning more.

There's my two cents -- which, on the open market, is worth about 1/2 a penny!

rationull said:
When I plug in the AC adapter, the computer immediately registers that it's running on AC power, but the battery doesn't start charging until 10-15 seconds later. If I plug it in while it's asleep, it starts charging immediately, but upon waking the machine up it stops charging and eventually starts up again after maybe 20-30 seconds.
I think you need to find something else to worry about.

My machine (15" Powerbook) acts something like that and always has. I think it's all about the computer calculating the charge levels and deciding what action to take depending on the situation.

Back