Delete a user [UNIX knowledge]

henrik@vh.nu

Registered
I have learned from apple.com that if you delete a user, that users catalog will still be in the folder "Users" and if you want to delete that folder you have to go through the "Terminal" and type "sudo rm -rf /Users/shortname\ deleted".

And it works, but since I've had two users with the same name one of the folders name is "[username] deleted 1". The number in the end makes this difficult for me who don't know any UNIX.

Can anyone help me rename the folder, or delete it as it is?

If I read this correctly, don't you just do:
sudo rm -R /Users/<name>\ Deleted\ 1
Or you can do:
sudo rm -R "/Users/<name> Deleted 1"

Does this help at all?

henrik: The terminal is not required to delete user folders that have been deleted.

When you delete a user via the User system preference pane, it asks you who to assign the folder to. If you select yourself, you now have owner privileges over the folder, and you can do whatever you want with it via the Finder. In this case, you could delete it normally without having to use the Terminal.

Just make sure that when it asks you who to assign it too, don't assign it to the "System Administrator", which is the root user. Assign it to your own account.

Ah, very true.

Apple really needs to provide some way to delete things via the Finder, even if you don't have the correct permissions. I was thinking something like display a dialog box, but then have a sudo button (the one that looks like a little padlock) allowing you to redo what you did with root privs (assuming you have the correct password).

wow.
i wanna thank you all for fast respons.

i've tried all the recomendations, but "testusers"'s contribution was the only thing that worked.

thanks a lot.
the folder was really annoying :)

henrik....

Also, since the shell is tcsh (unless you changed it), it has tab completion. You can start to type the name of the file/directory you want on the command line and hit the tab key. tcsh will fill in the rest of it for you. Nice for speed, as well as funky names.

Back