Deleting a file in MAC OS X

Moosa

Registered
I am using Mac OS Panther (10.2.8). Some time back I tried to download a real media file from a website which didnt download completely so I cancelled the download. Since then whenever I try to delete that file I get a message saying 'this file is in use by another task. Another task includes moving, copying, emptying trash' I don't know how to delete this file from my desktop. I have tried everything possible even went into the properties of the file and tried to unlock it but nothing seems to work. Can anyone please help? This is so irritating. :mad:

Try "batchmod" (versiontracker)

It's a graphic app front end for Unix commands to force delete files among other things.

Open the terminal and type:

cd ~/.Trash
<hit return>

sudo rm -rf

put a space after the f and drag the item you want deleted to the terminal so that its path is automatically entered, then press return

give it your admin password and hit return

If none of the other replies works for you, you have a
situation that iEmpty was designed for. The app is no
longer available on the web. I and a few others have
been sharing our copies. If you're interested, PM me with
your e-mail address.

bobw said:
Open the terminal and type:

cd ~/.Trash
<hit return>

sudo rm -rf

put a space after the f and drag the item you want deleted to the terminal so that its path is automatically entered, then press return

give it your admin password and hit return

I tried exactly the same method thrice but it never entered the path of that specific file and each time I tried entering my password I got the message in Terminal 'Sorry, try again'

Back