Dell Invasion!

SIYWGF

Registered
oh my dear god!!!

I just started a new job today, working in the database and marketing department for Toyota UK, and what did i see when i walked in??????? a sea of DELL's sitting there humming away!!! what is this world coming to???? one good point is that whilst i was sitting down for my interview the particular Dell that the interviewer was working on ground to a halt, oops crashed!!!!! hahaha how ironic, maybe it could sense the iBook that i had been using 20 minutes before!!!!! dont u just hate DELL!

SCREAM IF YA WANNA GO FASTER BABY!!!!!
(Geri Halliwell)

Trust me when I tell you this...

While I will always prefer a Mac, I would rather work on a Dell than any other PC manufacturer.

My reasoning is this. Dell has a keen sense of quality. They'll actually pick a motherboard that's a touch slower but hardier.

I worked at a company that was solely Dell as well, and had a decent time of it. We had quite a few "drops". We also had a few tinkerers who felt that they could change their own sound cards... Damn Napster! :p But in the end the Dell's never failed. (Windows on the other hand - well we'll just leave that one for another topic)

The Gateway 2000's however had the life span of a house fly. Their equipment was self-admittedly shoddy.

Well, to be honest, those motherboards are a 'wee-bit' sensitive. If it's cold outside, and the UPS guy throws the box onto the truck you can almost guarantee that the user will have some problem or another dealing with a bad sauder point. But hey, if it isn't broken it's the fastest motherboard of its kind!

Comfort me some more friend... ;)

He was actually a great guy, Gateway has some pretty nice support once you establish that you're a somewhat competent IT, if you're not you'll get the 'backend' of things.

I may have to make a purchase of our very first PC in the office soon. :rolleyes:
The company who makes a software package we need has to have it run on a dedicated server. We can't afford a Mac running VPC, so it'll be a PC.

You better believe it'll be a Dell though.

Hmmm, my experience with Dells is rather different than yours.
Try a hard drive failing half an hour after the machine is first set up. Try a failure rate (from various causes) around 25%.
If I had to purchase a PC, I'd go with a Sony or IBM.

dell does make the top of the windoze pile when it comes to dependability

stay away from Compaq and HP though! shite!

For sexiness it has to be Sony though... their laptops and the supreme Media Station VAIO rocks!

My experience with Dell is less than satisfactory to say the least. My employer hass a contract with them, and we use nothing but Dells. They are absolute crap. Even the IT Dept. can't stand them. These are their "Corporate" PC's, so I don't know if there's a difference between these and their consumer PCs, which at least look a little nicer (black & silver vs. beige).

If I had to use a brand name PC, I'd go for a HP or a Compaq before I'd use a Dell...

I've bought and used a lot of PCs. Dell has become my personal favorite. On the laptop front, I thnk IBMs.

However, my next personal machine will probably be another mac.

I have to admit that when I was a Windows user I really like Dell. They were dependable and easy to upgrade. However, in recent years I have began to notice their product quality have really gone down the drain. The new Dells I have to use at work are utter pieces of crap. These are their new black enclosure machines. They seem cheaply made. Their performance is lackluster, and the machines crashes constantly. Many of my friends who have been "upgraded" to the new black Dell machines at other companies all share similar experience. Before I would suggest Dell to people looking for a Windows machine, but now I wouldn't.

-B

Originally posted by phatsharpie
They seem cheaply made.

See their prices lately? They had to cut down somewhere!

Mine was way expensive... it's strong! Well, i've bumped things into it a few times (sometimes a bit TOO hard) with nothing wrong with it... my friend's new Dell had a broken front piece (to access a USB & headphone jack) so he can't use them without breaking it even more...

Well, two years ago, at my office, we bougth 4 Dell... And you know what ? 3 of those had problems ! (one with memory, and the two others with network cards). And the Dell Hotline is... well, let's stop here, this is upseting me again ;)
To make it short, we never ever bought a Dell again !

And you know what ? I never had problems with my Mac :D

"My reasoning is this. Dell has a keen sense of quality. They'll actually pick a motherboard that's a touch slower but hardier."

If by hardier you mean whatever the hell is lying around the warehouse, then yes. In all seriousness, when you purchase a Dell computer the motherboard included is not consistent with identical Dell models. In other words, buy two Dell Dimensions configured exactly the same way for exactly the same price and you may not get exactly the same motherboards. :)

Hmm wow I read all these bad experiences with dell and I hafta wonder, where the hell did you get them? I go to a highschool with 3500 kids or more. We have roughly a 1000 computers more or less. about 70% of these are dells, and of those 60% of them are Optiplex GX1 P2 400's runnng windows NT 4. Now think of a school environment and all the stress that comes with it, the dells have performed excellently and I have had switch a few Processor modules and a few motherboards but the beige dells have a great sense of quality. The new black dells, well I haven't had many issues with them but we haven't had them 1 year yet, so we will see.

I have a great relationship with networking, so good that I basically can do anything I want to without getting in trouble. Dell tech support is good as long as you have a warranty, if you don't.. heh your screwed. Dell monitors.. well they are pretty good but after a few years they start to age.

In conclusion I like to spend my time in the graphics labs in all the buildings because they run on G3s & G4's and thats where I feel at home. I love macs.

~Yoshi

Back