Dell/M$ blues shows that Apple rules!?

hulkaros

The Incredible...
In order to get rebates from Dell for your G3 and G4 Macs, go here:
http://www.macnn.com/news/20305

In order to crack Windows passwords in seconds but not so in OS X, browse here:
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5053063.html

In order to view another passel of warnings about security holes Wednesday, including a "critical" flaw that affects most Windows PCs, browse here:
http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-5053428.html?tag=fd_top

All the above plus that buymusic.whatever.BS.com and loads more stuff coming from the Dark Side, make me even more proud to support Apple by being an active Mac user all the way and then some! :D

Here is a piece from the Dell thing:
"Dell is offering nearly $250 for blue and white G3 computers and over $400 for graphite G4s when you purchase a new Dell Precision workstation. To make the deal more interesting, they will also give you a $250 rebate in addition to the trade-in value if you participate in this program."

Is the up and coming G5 has Dell worrying or their employees need for personal use, 2nd hand G3/G4 Macs because they cannot afford to buy new ones? :p

A piece from the Windows cracking passwords:
"...a password cracker can create a large lookup table and break passwords on any Windows computer. Unix, Linux and the Mac OS X, however, add a 12-bit salt to the calculation, making any brute force attempt to break the encryption take 4,096 times longer or require 4,096 times more memory."

Still, I'm worried for someone being able to crack my passwords in 55705.6 (13.6 x 4096) seconds under OS X... :rolleyes: Or that could could take even longer because our Macs aren't as fast as an AMD Athlon XP2500+ processor is? :p

A piece from M$ security holes (the size of Europe perhaps? ;) ):
"Mike Cherry, an analyst for research firm Directions on Microsoft, said the frequency of security alerts could be bad for Microsoft's image, particularly as they relate to Windows Server 2003, one of the first poster children for the company's "trustworthy computing" initiative."

What actually worries me about this, is that actually even Mac people still don't give a damn about those holes and actually are fond of M$ products instead of giving them the finger... Yes, THAT finger! :D

Guess what I'm gonna do. They prolly don't even test the Macs they get in, so I think I'm gonna trade in my dead-screened iMac for a super-cheap Dell for my little brother...seems liek a good deal to me...

EDIT: Scratch that, I just realized the Dell's in question don't come in the "cheap" class...

Even after your $650 in rebates, the dual Xeon is about the same or a little more expensive than the Dual 2.0GHz G5.....

What a deal!

I have a dead G3 logic board. Anyone have a Blue & White G3 empty shell? A dead processor card? We can slap it all together, send it off to Dull, get the computer, sell it on eBay, and split the profits.

Originally posted by Go3iverson
Even after your $650 in rebates, the dual Xeon is about the same or a little more expensive than the Dual 2.0GHz G5.....

What a deal!

Why is that? I just configured a Dual-Xeon 2.66 with similar specs to the Dual G5 at:

PWS 450
$2,804

Now subtract $650 and it is quite an attractive offer, no? Maybe Apple should take my old PIII 850MHz Dell Latitude...

I wasn't talking the 2.66 Xeon...I'm talking the 3.06 that was showed at WWDC as a rival of the dual 2.0 G5.

Remember, these Xeons (A) only have a 533MHz FSB and (B) the bus is shared by both CPUs. The dual 2.0 G5 has a 1GHz bus per chip.

I wasn't talking the 2.66 Xeon...I'm talking the 3.06 that was showed at WWDC as a rival of the dual 2.0 G5.

I know you were, but you didn't mention the 3.06 GHz part :) Anyway, when you use that processor you get something like this:

PWS 450
$3,605

What is interesting here, though, is the fact that in Europe this same computer costs only EUR 3226,80 (and that is including VAT). The Apple comes to EUR 3358,80, so it is actually more expensive than the Dell.

Remember, these Xeons (A) only have a 533MHz FSB and (B) the bus is shared by both CPUs. The dual 2.0 G5 has a 1GHz bus per chip.

And this is the problem with all these comparisons. It is hard to really compare them. Before the G5, the G4 was kind of underpowered compared to the P4, but now things look a bit differently.

This is also why the above European price for the G5 is actually better than the Dell because it has some other things that make it a better value (graphics card, front side bus, for example).

I see your point. When you configured your Dell, did you make sure to include a better video card, comparable HD and the like?

The entire discussion is kinda funny...like I'd buy a Dell! lol ;)

The choice of graphics card for a Precision workstation is completely different than the one for a Dimension desktop. This makes it hard to compare those two (Dell and Apple). I just used the default card. I think the default card for the G5 is not that expensive either.

OT: This forum is loading damn slow. How is MacOS X handling this?

OT again: Would you be so kind and attach a screenshot of this page so that I can see how fonts look like on MacOS X (with this particular web site). I already posted a message in the MacOS X System forum, but I guess it doesn't get that much traffic.

Why didn't Apple do something similar to the Dell deal during the Switch campaign?

Too hard to measure PCs' worth, lack of resell value on PCs?

I wish Apple would counter this with a "trade-in" promo of their own. Trade in your PC, and get XXX towards the purchase of a new Mac.

I don't ever recall Apple doing this, although a few shops (Microcenter, CompUSA) have had similar promos and included Macs in the program.

If Apple could bankroll it, I think it'd be a huge success...

why would Apple ever consider doing this? have you seen the resale value of a Mac compared to PC. Dell cant help but profit either way.

$250 for BW going for $300-500 on ebay.
$400 for QS going for $600-800 on ebay.

it isnt rocket science. even if they just broke even it wouldnt matter. hell, Dell might just grind them up. less Macs, more PCs. either way THEY WIN BIG.

Back