Dell Wide Aspect Flat Panel - vertical position?

egon

Bounder of Adventure
Hello everyone,

I just bought a DELL - UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor and I have a few questions I hope some people might know the answer to.

1. How can I turn the monitor around in a vertical position? This is not clear at all. Do I need to install some special driver? At the moment, I can only watch it in a normal horizontal position.

2. In my list of monitor options (in the menu bar), at the top of the list of various resolution settings, there is one called 'DELL 2005FPW'. This is grayed out. What does it mean? How do I activate it?

That's it. Anyone know the answer?

Thanks!

Daniel

1. Are you talking about actually viewing your mac desktop verticcally, like a piece of paper? if so.... this sort of thing has to be supported through software, and as far as I know, there is no option for Mac OS X... back in the days of OS 7 and 8, I remember Radius used to sell a monito your could turn, and they shipped software for it... Don't know if such software exists for mac OS X. I wish someone would write it, though.

2. This isn't an option. It's simply identifying the make and model of monitor in the menu. This is useful when you have more than one screen, and you want to know which one you're switching to which resolution.

Cool, thanks a lot for the help! The sort of information I need, although I too wish someone would write software for vertical viewing...

While you are from the state of confusion, I'm from the state of denial.

i'm not confused or in denial:

1) The vertical thing is supported in macos, and works brilliantly, if you have a recent ATI Radeon graphics card. if you do, the a list manu appears in that preference pane asking you for 90, 180 or 270 degree switching. if not, then you don't have the option.

2) yes, that greyed out option at the top of the list is merely what model of screen you have.

Here is a look at the display setting on my machine...

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 5
I remember the Radius rotating monitors - they were fantastic! IIRC, you could just twist it and it would re-orient your desktop on the fly. - horizontal to work on spreads and vertical to work on a single page. Used to use one on an LC II, so the problem was definitely not horsepower, just the right combinations of 0s and 1s

Lt Major Burns.... damn, wish I had that on my PowerBook! Thanks for enlightening me.

Still, someone needs to write this software for the rest of us....

Back