Desktop Appearance As Application Background

kiwimac

Registered
*Somewhere* I remember having the option to choose whether my desktop icons are visible when another application (not Finder) is active.

I cannot re-find this option/setting!

Can anyone help?

Either this was implemented in a third-party add-on that I've never heard of, or this was an old feature of Mac OS 9 or earlier that has since been dropped. I can't imagine why you'd want these icons to disappear, though - it's very useful to be able to drag and drop items to and from the desktop while you're working in a program.

You may be right that it was and 'old' option... but I'm pretty sure it was not 3rd party... I remember choosing between two little icon/buttonss - miniatures of the desktop - one with little white rectangles representing icons, and one just clean blue blank desktop. There are times when you alreeady have multiple windows open (working in Golive,m for instance) when the clutter of finder icons is just that... clutter that gets in the way... Would really like to have the option (again) to have a clean desktop behind applications!

This was an option in Mac OS 7.something to 9. It doesn't seem to be in OS X.

However, there IS a work-around. Use TinkerTool ( http://www.versiontracker.com/php/s...on=search&str=tinkertool&plt[]=macosx&x=0&y=0 ) and make sure "Disable Desktop Features" is checked.

Ba da-bing. Desktop Icons gone. However, if you ever want to see the contents of your desktop, you have to use a Finder window to navigate to /users/yourname/desktop.

So.... that's not exactly what you want... since they don't show up automatically when you bring the Finder to the front.... but.... eh.... that's the best I can do.

Thanks, Adam. That clarifies the situation... and I've tried TinkerTool and, yes, it does just what I need - almost... as you recognised, desktop icons visible in Finder only is what I was after... I'll have to add that to a wishlist for Apple's OSX 10.5! In the meanfime. I just have to learn how to write an Applescript to turn the feature on/off... or see if Automate will provide a quick switch. Thanks again.

Back