Desktop corrupted and many other issues

dennisb23

Registered
I have some horrific problems going on with my machine. I'm using an Imac G5 and running 10.4.11.

First off, I came home to start my machine a few weeks ago and it took forever to start up and when it did I got the spinning ball for like 1/2 an hour and it just froze. I tried to restart about 5 times and when it finally did it started up like normal but everything on my desktop was gone, including a folder which contained my old files (that I had placed in my root folder) from my old machine that I brought over when I set up this machine.

Now, I can't save anything to my desktop. The only thing on my desktop is the "Hard Disk" icon. The weird thing is I can still access some files that were in my "old files" folder through my recently used folders in certain programs so my old files are deleted entirely. There has to be a way to get them back in that case I would presume.

And, to top it all off I can no longer use Apple Mail. When I try to start it up it freezes up my whole machine.

Basically, I would like to find a way to recover my old files because they are still obviously on my machine if I can access them through the recently used folder function in certain programs. Then, I'm just going to wipe and reload.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Dennis

Dennis- I Don't Know If It Will Work--but Go Into Harddrive>system>users>preferences>scroll Down Til You Find Apple.system.plist-->trash It And Do Restart. It Auto Creates A New Pref. File.
Maybe That Will Bring It All Back To Norm?
Dickster---------------------------------------

Back