desktop keeps changing

mtjn

noob
for some reason, my destop pictures keep resetting themselves to the standard blue screen. i'm running 10.2.4. every time this happens (upon restarting, sometimes waking from sleep) i'll change it back to my image, delete the com.apple.desktop.plist file. but it keeps going back to the blue screen when i restart, power up, etc. anyone else have this happen to them?

Maybe the place you have your desktop images has changed? If I move the desktop image (that was e.g. on desktop or documents) to an other place, that can happen.

Originally posted by mtjn
for some reason, my destop pictures keep resetting themselves to the standard blue screen. i'm running 10.2.4. every time this happens (upon restarting, sometimes waking from sleep) i'll change it back to my image, delete the com.apple.desktop.plist file. but it keeps going back to the blue screen when i restart, power up, etc. anyone else have this happen to them?

Oooops! Where some questions:
-Is your image viewable under Preview.app?
-Where do you have your picture located into the Macintosh HD?
-Is it a locked picture or something?
-Do you have full rights to access that image?
-Does it occur with the included pictures of OS X?
-Did you ever repaired your hard disk permissions?
-Have you installed the OS X.2.4 Combo Update or the plain X.2.4 Update? If not, install the Combo Update just to be sure...

I'm sure I'm missing something here but let me know and then maybe, just maybe, I could be of more help :cool: :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

the picture has not changed locations. it is in the folder that iphoto created. i used system preferences to change it, then after it reset, i used iphoto to change the desktop. the image is not locked, and i have all the rights to it. this just started yesterday after i woke it from sleep. i've been using 10.2.4 for a couple of weeks now and up until yesterday, all was fine.

yes the image loads in preview perfectly

...what happens if you move the picture to another folder, say Pictures inside your Home folder? Does the problem appears again?

What about with built-in images of OS X? Does the problem with those images repeat itself? Let us know...

i copied the picture into another folder and then i repaired disk permissions (not quite sure what that does) which seems to be working so far. i just wonder what made it change to the default in the first place.

i copied the picture into another folder and then i repaired disk permissions (not quite sure what that does) which seems to be working so far. i just wonder what made it change to the default in the first place.

Most probably it has something to do with the location of that image in your HD which you told us it was the iPhoto library... Maybe, just maybe, your iPhoto is messing your Desktop pictures badly...

Anyways, I hope it was a really good picture! Hint: Why don't you show it to us in the Desktop thread? ;)

:D

Started to happen for me, too. Did you ever find out what the reason was?

Place the pic somewhere on the startup volume :)
For some reason, it just views the blue one when the desktop is on an other volume. Maybe because the desktop pic is loaded before the other volumes are loaded, or something like that.

The same problem happened to me. I was plugging my iBook into the TV using the audio/video out port. The iBook was loading new display settings, _including_ a new picture, for the "television" monitor.

Any chance you're using more than one display such as I described above?

Doug

I think this is a bug. I've got the same problem on my iBook running 10.2.6 and I've only changed desktop pictures from the standard to another in the chain. Keeps coming back to the standard. Minor irritation. æ

ksv - not true. I have two drives, one of them being OS 9 (I got a new drive for OS X itself), and I often set the desktop pic to one of the pics off of it. I haven't had any problems at all doing so. One of these days I'll get around to copying that stuff over to the OS X drive. :p

Ive seen this , the desktop pictures fade between eachother however i dont have the option. No third party aps on sys.

Adam

Originally posted by Darkshadow
ksv - not true. I have two drives, one of them being OS 9 (I got a new drive for OS X itself), and I often set the desktop pic to one of the pics off of it. I haven't had any problems at all doing so. One of these days I'll get around to copying that stuff over to the OS X drive. :p

Well, it's partially true, as I've never had desktop pictures on other volumes working properly :p

Originally posted by Browni
Ive seen this , the desktop pictures fade between eachother however i dont have the option. No third party aps on sys.
Welcome to one of the cool new features of OS X 10.2! No longer should you have to settle to have a new desktop picture every time you restart. No, now you can have a new picture at regular intervals! Choose anything from 30 seconds, up to hours. Simply select the folder of pictures you want to view in the Desktop tab of your System Preferences, select the option to change pictures at regular intervals, and select the interval you want. If for any reason you want to deactivate this wonderful new feature, all you have to do is click on any image in the scrollable list at the bottom of the window. We hope you enjoy this feature to the fullest! [/fake sales pitch]

Thank you Andren, however, each hour when my picture changes, it just jumpes to the next picture. I have seen this were it fades wonderfully between the pictures. Could it have any thing to do with This being on a New iMac, that has Quartz Extreem support? My g4 doesn't

Adam

It has everything to do with Quartz Extreme. You have to have 32 MB or more of video memory for Quartz Extreme to run. Any less than this, like my iMac's 8 MB, and the picture just changes immediately instead of fading.

Oh, and please don't call me Andren. :)

Thank you very much, and aplogies, i wasnt to sure how to address you.

I thought it might have been QE.

Thanks again

Adam

[edit: Ive checked my specks and i seem to have more then 32 mb of video memoy. I have a AGP Graphics card is that the problem?]

Back