Desktop pic cycling in 10.2.4

g3joel

Registered
I just noticed that if you have your desktop picture set to change every so often, there is no longer a "fading in and out" transition. It just changes from one to the other - BANG.

I loved that Quartz fade in and out effect, why did Apple have to go and remove it?? :(

What hardware are use using, specifically what type of graphics card and how much VRAM?

Hmm.. My guess is that Apple disabled this on G3 processors to squeeze every last bit of speed out of them. This really is just speculation, though.
If it makes you feel any better, it snaps from one to the next for me too... :) I don't even have Quartz Extreme.

Same thing here. Using G3/500, no more fading. I don't care much, though, I like the fact 10.2.4 responds a bit better. What are the other things that changed with 10.2.4 BTW, please ?

Oops, I just realised that installing 10.2.4 had disabled my PCI Quartz Extreme hack :p

So after a spot of bother I enabled it again, and now have my cross fading desktop back :D

How are you guys running Quartz Extreme on your B&W G3s? I thought it required an AGP video card...

Is there some way to do this with a PCI card? I'd love to get my 450mhz G3 B&W to run QE.

Which card should I buy? Do I need to tweak some configuration files?

Thanks.

I think only ATI makes after-market PCI video cards for Macs. Since this is the case, you'll need a PCI Radeon card to be able to enable Quartz Extreme on your G3. Any will do, but I recommend the Radeon 7000 for price/performance.

After you've installed it, head on over here to find out how to enable Quartz Extreme.

Thanks for the link. After reading it, it appears that I might be better off not enabling QE. The 66mhz pci slot may not have enough bandwidth for all of the textures if I have alot of windows open. And the visual sideeffects also seem not worth it. I currently have 384 megs of ram, and at times the interface is slow..I will be upgrading to 1 gig tomorrow and hopefully I won't have to swap out any window textures anymore.

Back