Desperate: OS9 systematically crashes after my Panther intall...

toast

Gone !
This is getting very annoying.

I've installed Panther. Then I tried to boot back to OS9, a few days after, to play UT. Problem: it crashes at launch (just after the Welcome to Mac OS screen appears). MacsBug says dFSErr 18. Doesn't ring a bell, but sounds serious.

So, I try to hard reboot. Same crash. I zap PRAM,and there it works, normal boot. But I've lost my screen settings, argh ! I need them desperately. The screen really looks weird in default settings (it's not even straight, and I don't drink on a daily basis, trust me).

A friend is telling me to use a PRAM recovery utility. He says the crash is because my trusty old G3/500 PRAM battery is aging. Any other ideas ? All help appreciated, this problem is the only serious prob I have in Panther, I'm finding it very difficult to cope with.

Does reinstalling OS 9 help?

How did you upgrade to Panther? Did you wipe out the disk (and the OS 9 drivers) or use the upgrade option?

I upgraded and did not reinstall OS9. I'm gonna try this last option, but I'd hate wiping the disk for a simple 10.2>10.3 upgrade. This is a Mac, not Win98.

Back