Determining Tiger serial number?

FlashMac

Registered
Hi.

I'm running 45 Macs here, 8 came with Tiger. I have a year-old invoice (before my time, I just got here) for 29 Tiger upgrades but no serial number or any account information with Apple. That leaves 7.
Pretty much everything has been bought through third party suppliers with very little record-keeping (welcome too my nightmare). I am trying to kick off a volume licensing relationship with Apple as I want everyone up to date on 10.4.9 legal and paid for, but due to the third party thing they have no records for us.

Is there a way to determine a Tiger install's Serial number, maybe even using ARD3? All the above is to explain my dilemma, I know there's not much copy protection on Mac OS and I could probably rebuild them all from one disc but that would be naughty. I can't find anything in System Profiler. I'm just trying to be a stand-up guy here.

I would call Apple and get it straightened out with them.
As far as I know, MacOS has no serial number

10.4 non-Server version does not come serialized so there are no serials.
The most practical way would probably be to make an image with all software up to date in it, and use NetInstall if you have a server there.
Or as bobw suggests, call them and ask for a solution.

On the non-server version, you can see the serial numbers and build numbers by going into Apple Menu -> About this Mac and clicking on the version number. It cycles through the various bits of information as you click. I don't know if that works on Server, though.

Back