developer tools

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
I have a PowerMac G3 (B&W) @ 350Mhz, 192Mb RAM,
6Gb internal (3 partitions), 20Gb external firewire,
SCSI CD-RW, SCSI zip 100, a USB gamepad( :p gotta have some fun lol ) and a 15" monitor.

I dont know what's up... I wanted those too... I might
redownload them and see what happens

I've lost count of how many times I've redownloaded them. I've got about 400 MB of developer trash sitting freash from the d/l.

Originally posted by macboy73
I've lost count of how many times I've redownloaded them. I've got about 400 MB of developer trash sitting freash from the d/l. [/B]

This is to all of you.
You can get it of my Carracho Server if you want. It is up almost 3/4 of the day and on a T3+.

IP: thedj.student.utwente.nl
login: osx
pass: osx

Look for OSX Developer CD.tar.gz in the folder OSX/OSX stuff. You can unpack it by using OpenUp (Which is there aswell and real handy.)

To decompress OpenUp type the following in the Terminal.
gnutar -xvzf name_of_file_to_uncompress (In the correct folder of course)

Originally posted by endian
I tried this, but tar just output a whole heap of errors!

did you use the -v option to tar? (e.g. tar -xvf) If so they likely weren't errors: v stands for verbose, which makes the tar program output a line for everything it does.

Most likely, they were errors because the file is compressed with gzip.

Typically, ".tgz" means "tar"ed and "gzip"ed.

Try:

gunzip -c blah.tgz | tar xf -

If you want to see what is being "untar"ed, add the "v" option:

gunzip -c blah.tgz | tar xvf -

Then again, it seems just double-clicking also does the trick, according to an earlier post. This is a Mac, after all :)

yeah, that might be why... the gnu version of tar (gnutar) can also ungzip files and that's what I always use

I have given up on the dev tools for now.
In any case OS X is just a weekend drive for me, or
an OS to use when I want to do some programming in java
through the terminal lol... I still have not been able to
get my pppconnect to work, I have tried everything I tell yas, and this just makes OS X a bit undesirable for everyday use since I go online a lot.

Admiral

Ok I downloaded this successfully after numerour tries, but when I run the installer I get the following error message when it starts the actual install:

"Couldn't write bom to path"

Anyone else see this? Better yet anyone have success with this and if so did you do anything "special" to get it to work?

-Bri

Originally posted by byamanaka
Ok I downloaded this successfully after numerour tries, but when I run the installer I get the following error message when it starts the actual install:

"Couldn't write bom to path"

Anyone else see this? Better yet anyone have success with this and if so did you do anything "special" to get it to work?

-Bri

I have also had this problem (iBook SE, 196MB, OSX on separate 2GB partition). It downloads just fine. When I get into the installer and say "yes" to all the messages, the installer begins to install and posts the "Couldn't write bom to path" message.

What ever happened to those friendly, "descriptive" error messages? Welcome to UNIX folks!

-D

Apparently this is a problem that was common. Apparently if you let Stuffit Expander untar the file (it is a tar'd and gzip'd file) then you will run into problems with permissions.

The best thing to do is to let Stuffit Expander unzip the file, but then you should use 'tar -xvf' to expand the file. I should have realized this, but it's hard to get into the Unix frame of mind when working on a Mac! :)

Sheesh! I'm stupid as hell when it comes to Unix, but I just unzipped (or un-whatever-ed) the whole thing by dragging it to the Stuffit Expaned icon. The Clasic version, of course, the Carbon one is just a crock of shite.
It also installed perfectly. I'm wondering what might be your problem...

Ok i downloaded and installed the Dev tools..but i still don't have gcc..I have cc but not gcc..Do I need to add something to my path after the install completes???

Thanks

BTW, check out the excellent OpenUp utility from the StepWise guys to decompress files (other than .sit) without any hassles or CLI. it will solve your problems with permissions. i use it everyday and it works fine.

you can find it in http://www.stepwise.com or do a search on versiontracker...

dani++

i downloaded the devloper tools from apple and installed it nicely. i tried to compile a simply c program and gave me this error....

test.c:0: could not open '/usr/local/libexec/ppc/specs'
test.c:1: header file 'stdio.h' not found

any idea why its not letting me compile.

and the code is....

#include <stdio.h>

int main(){
printf("test\n");
return 0;
}

worked fine here...

Assuming you actually included stdio.h and the board just stripped it out, what version of OSX & what version of the tools are you using? And did you compile this from the command line or through Project Builder?

i forgot to add the stdio when i was typing it up on here. i'm using build 4k46 and whatever version of developer tools is on the apple site. i downloaded it last night. i believe everything is ok but it can't locate "specs"

"could not open '/usr/local/libexec/ppc/specs'"

am i the only one with this problem?

the tools on apple's site are for the October Beta (2E14) AFAIK they won't work with the later builds.

Back