developer tools

sollaires

Registered
the public beta doesn't come with any compiling-type tools (g,g++, make). there is another cd that developers get that will have those. however, i had a copy of the dp4 cd around, and after looking through the stuff in there, i found a developer tools package. fired it up and installed it. everything works (essentially). so if you have a copy of dp4, you can do more fun stuff with the console and such.

Also, the plain console developer tools like cc, make & stuff can be installed by downloading the Darwin image from apple's site and then applying the macaddict patch (www.macaddict.com).

There is an article about installing developer tools after downloading Darwin 1.x from the Apple site. Apple removed them completed in the OS X Beta. The article url is http://www.maximumlinux.com/content/news/2000/09/13/11335?template=print.wm

This is only if you like to mess with UNIX though. It is not a visual interface by any means.

However, the melding of the MAC OS and UNIX, in my view, is the best thing since sliced bread for my two favorite operating systems.

I tried to do this and the terminal kept saying "Permission Denied". Any ideas how to get around this?

P.S. I used su to become a super user (root) and opened both darwin images like the article said.

i downloaded Darwin-1.0.2.smi.bin from apple's site, but i can't mount it w/ the OSX version fo disk copy, anyone else see anything like this or have any suggestions?

Originally posted by VGZ
I tried to do this and the terminal kept saying "Permission Denied". Any ideas how to get around this?

P.S. I used su to become a super user (root) and opened both darwin images like the article said.

Hi,

Try to login as root. your admin password should work. The problem is unix restrictions on adding files to the system folders.

I am unsure if you can do this from the terminal, i can't but you can login as root from the main screen.
And you can login as "console" and get just the shell.

Originally posted by VGZ

A couple of things to try:

The script may not be executable by default, so try
either

chmod a+x InstallCompiler.sh
./InstallCompiler.sh

to make it executable first or just force it to run
using

/bin/sh ./InstallCompiler.sh

If that doesn't do it then make sure the Darwin disk
is mounted correctly, i.e. the command

ls /Darwin\ 1.0

shouldn't give an error.

From Darwin, as far as i can tell, you are just getting the cc compiler, and some libs and stuff.
From the Apple site, you get a whole bunch of handy apps, like interface builder, etc. Definitely worth the download if you plan to develop for osx.

Originally posted by VGZ

LinuxPPC.com notes that there are security issues on all versions of Linux in regards to the su command. They recommend disabling su or using sudo. http://www.linuxppc.com/support/updates/security/

I don't know if this applies to Mac OS X or not.

No need to stumble with Darwin tool anymore,
in their infinite wisdom Apple finally put
the developer tools in the ADC section.

Here is how I got it to work, I am sure there
must be an easier way since this was a bit painful.
I downloaded the file in Os 9 and did the rest in Os X.

So just go to the Apple web page, developer section,
download section and download the "Public Beta Tools CD"
TAR file from the "Mac OS X Public Beta Developer Tools"
section.

If you do this from OS 9 using netscape it may throw
garbage on your screen since the browser does not
know how to handle a ".tgz" file. Go into preferences
in Netscape, Applications, and specify that you simply
want to save any file with a .tgz extension, now try
again. Save it in a place you can easily find it back
once you are in OS X, the desktop is probably not the
best place.

Now boot into Os X, locate the file and copy it
into your "home" directory (users/whateveryournameis)

Now start a Unix terminal (applications,
utilities, terminal).
Here it is, the magic command:

tar -xvf YOURFILE.tgz

where YOURFILE is the name, yeah, yeah you got it.

Now...... leave the terminal session and use the
"finder" to navigate back to your home directory,
you now see a "Developer.pkg" package icon (which
represents a directory that you just extracted with
the tar command).

Double click on it and 10 minutes later you will
have gcc, bison, make..... !!!!!

Apple rulez !

I tried this, but tar just output a whole heap of errors! So being a mac-minded guy I just double-clicked on the .tgz file instead and hey-presto, the OS X version of Stuffit Expander expanded it for me.

I get the pkg installer and I double click it, I accept the terms, and when it says to select a disk
to install it on no disks show up! (and the weird fact that it says that it need 0k for this installations :p)

Anyone having similar probs ?

I tried this, but tar just output a whole heap of errors!

did you use the -v option to tar? (e.g. tar -xvf) If so they likely weren't errors: v stands for verbose, which makes the tar program output a line for everything it does.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
I get the pkg installer and I double click it, I accept the terms, and when it says to select a disk
to install it on no disks show up! (and the weird fact that it says that it need 0k for this installations :p)

Anyone having similar probs ?

damnit! i thought i was the only one with this problem. i'm really mad. i wanted those quite a lot. I keep trying to downloade them. what are your specs?

I have a PowerMac G3 (B&W) @ 350Mhz, 192Mb RAM,
6Gb internal (3 partitions), 20Gb external firewire,
SCSI CD-RW, SCSI zip 100, a USB gamepad( :p gotta have some fun lol ) and a 15" monitor.

I dont know what's up... I wanted those too... I might
redownload them and see what happens

Back