Developer's Kit (intel Mac) information (merged thread)

My thoughts are mixed... sad to see an Apple PC, but resigned to the inevitable.. and of course, this kit is no indication of Intel Macs.

the xp screen just looks like virtual pc set to 800x600 and the box could just be one of these fellows who happing to get a g5 case and gut it. I have trouble believing things from thinksecret however ...it could also be true. :S

Dang it, fryke, your quick, I saw your blog. Hmm... But i agree with your ponit about darwin, and putting hardware in that matches the dev kit to get os x running on "any pc" .

I guess I'd actually _love_ to do that myself. Add a graphics card to the devkit to see whether generic drivers for Radeon cards are present, for example. You could basically try every component (besides the mobo, of course) in the devkit. And vice versa. Hmm... I'm waiting for the reports of what's there regarding drivers. Are printers supported? Etc., etc. ...

All I can say right now is that I am really unhappy with my PowerBook G4... I think it's time for it to go on eBay...

the form factor of the new powermacs / intemacs (whatever you want to call them!) is going to be totally different to the current G5 towers - in the pictures those kits take up so little room in the G5 casing that if the boards (and lack of liquid cooling / fans) inside the new machines are similar then apple can build physically smaller macs.

my G5 is HUGE compared to my G4 (and my pc tower)! - which is similar in size to my 6400...

if the new intel chips mean less heat, less power consumption etc - then i think its pretty exciting to think about what the new mac line-up will actually look like by the end of next year!

okay, i'm kinda happy about this turn of events, the ability to install windows on a partition anyway. It maybe possible to do run Half-Life and it's mods on the mac now. :D :D :D :D

Has anyone here gotten a Dev kit and tried a processor hunger application like Adobe CS 2 using Rosetta??

Does this mean i can have3 OSes on 1 box. Mac OS X for Me, Ubuntu Linux for Me (again) and Windoze for my girlfriend...gonna need a bigger hard drive.

RGrphc2 said:
Does this mean i can have3 OSes on 1 box. Mac OS X for Me, Ubuntu Linux for Me (again) and Windoze for my girlfriend...gonna need a bigger hard drive.

It means you can't read anything into this. It's only a dev kit.

Well: It should obviously be possible. Apple said they won't hinder us from installing Windows. Linux _always_ finds a way onto a harddrive... ;)

fjdouse said:
It means you can't read anything into this. It's only a dev kit.

I concur. I received mine today, and its great to fiddle with and work on software with, but you cant read much into non-Mac OS X related things (like installing windows, using different graphics cards, etc)

Just for those of you who are curious, I thought I would give a little more info on the specs, tho remember to not read much into them (tho you can tell apple is planning on moving to PCI-Express from it).

3.6 GHz Intel Pentium 4 w/2 MB L2 Cache
800MHz Front-side bus
1 GB, 533MHz DDR2 Dual Channel SDRAM
4 DIMM slots (2 occupied)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (GMA 900)

Two PCI Slots (33 MHz, 32-bit)
1 16X PCI-Express (Graphics occupied by DVI-D via ADD2 Card)
1 1X PCI-Express

4 total SATA connectors (2 wired up)
160GB/7200rpm SATA
16x DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW

front:
Headphone Jack
Power Button
One USB 2.0 Port
One FireWire 400 Port
A micro switch mounted next to the power switch, can be activated by a paperclip. Unknown function.

rear:
Two USB 2.0 Ports
Gigabit Ethernet
One FireWire 400 Port

I'm not so impressed.... The tower is a Powermac tower all right, but the inside looks just.........let's say, unusual. Have seen other pics of the dev kit before, wasn't too impressed either.

Nobody, I think, expected that the devkit would be an impressive look at the inside...?

I saw the pics of the devkit and I couldn't help but recall that "hoax" of the PC motherboard in a G5 case. Could it have been signs of what's happening now?? Who knows.... :p

Back