DHCP problems!!

theCaptain

Member that enjoys Meece
I have a Linksys Ethernet Router, with my DSL connection, with a PC and three iMacs. I use DHCP to get IPs for all. This has all worked beautifully for a long time. All of the sudder one of my iMacs, the G3, cannot obtain an IP from the Router. Instead it self assigns itself an IP that the router cannot use. I have checked and all the settings on the three iMacs are identical, however the G3 cannot seem to get an IP from the router. I have done everything imaginable in terms of switching ports on the back of my router, and the problem deffinatly stems from the iMac. I have even tried, shutting of Built-in ethernet and turning it back on, but every time the computer assigns itself an IP and it does not obtain one from the router. Please any suggestions would be very appreciated!!

Thanks

TheCAptain

Sounds like the G3 can't communicate with the router. Try assigning a static IP to the G3 and see if it works then. If it doesn't, it's most likely something wrong about the physical connection between the router and the G3. Have you tried switching ethernet cables?

The funny thing is, is that the G3 has worked fine for many years. Assuming something was wrong with the physical connection, I plugged in an iBook to the G3s line and it immediatly obtained an IP from the router and was online. As for Assigning a Static IP, this is a no go.

thanks for your suggestion

Could still be the ethernet circuit in the G3. Have you tried connecting it to an other computer directly via a crossover cable and connect one to the other via Apple File Sharing?

Miraculously, I went up to do a little work with the imac, and it had obtained an IP, just like that. I hadnt changed anything. It simply went to self assigning an IP to obtaining it from the router.
Who knows!

Back