DHCP vs. MacOS X [?]

dodita

Registered
Hi,
I've always worked with manual static IP, but right now I'm trying to connect my pismo into Win-LAN environment, and the IP's are provided by DHCP server (FreeBSD).

MacOS X just won't gain/refresh any IP from the server.
In WinXP, the network configuration is really simple, all I need to know is just the DNS server (10.0.0.4). I tried this on my pismo, but nothing's happened.

Anyone knows how can solve this problem ?
Is there any command line to refresh the network settings, beside /bin/sh /etc/rc ?

TIA

I was having a similar problem with my powerbook. I have an Ascend Pipeline 75 ISDN router that I set to act as the DCHP server. All of my windows boxes could get their assigned IP's just fine, and even my powerbook could when I had OS 9.2.2 running. But once I went in OS X, I couldn't get an ip assigned to save my life. I messed with the router, upgraded its firmware, all to no avail. The thing that confused me was this. I took my powerbook over to a friends house, and he had a dhcp server running as well. I got my ip address just fine over there, so... I am still confused.

My theory is this.... Mac OS X requires something that my pipeline just isn't doing, and since you are having FreeBSD issues as well, perhaps they implement DHCP in a similar manner. Like I said, the windows boxes have no trouble whatsoever getting their IP's but osX just wouldn't budge. Oh one last note, my smc access point for my wireless network couldn't grab an ip address either... so I have to assume its something with the router, but whatever it is, I am at a loss to explain it.

FWIW, I run my machines through an SMC Barricade broadband router, using DCHP for most of them, including the Mac. No problems at all.

How are you connecting? Built-In Ethernet? AirPort? Whatever it is, select it nex to "Show" in the Network Pref Pane (System Preferences > Network Preferences). There should be a pull down menu labeled "Configure." Select "Using DHCP." If thing's don't happen automatically, then you really do have a problem. If you need a DHCP Client ID, ask the guy in charge for one.

Back