dial phone numbers manually?

erikv11

Registered
To dial-up connect my Tibook when I am traveling, I often need to use one or another calling card. Internet Connect can't reliably navigate the calling card authentication process because it is not invariant - it really requires me listening to the instructions and responding at the proper time. So I use a connector that splits the phone line to both my Tibook and a phone. I dial Sprint and my calling card # with the phone, then when it is time to dial the modem number I let the Mac take over and hang up the phone.

A far more convenient fix would be if the Mac would emulate a telephone handset. Then I could just plug the phone line into my Mac, listen to audio output to dial the calling card numbers interactively with my keyboard, and push connect when it is time for Internet Connect to dial the modem. I have seen apps that can dial numbers, but none are simple enough: they all have automated dialling so that a multi-step process can't be easily executed.

Does anyone know of an app that behaves like a handset, enabling audio and outputting touchtones in response to *manual* keystrokes?

thanks -

Back