Did a really stoopid thing--pleez help

writerjen

Registered
Doh.

To cripple Airport on my daughter's laptop (long story), I copied her AppleAirPort.kext and AppleAirPort2.kext files onto a thumb drive, then trashed the originals.

It's crippled alright. Dragging the kext files back in didn't work, of course -- 'AppleAirPort.kext not installed correctly. Try reinstalling' etc. I don't think we're in OS9 anymore, Toto. (10.4.5)

What's the quickest, easiest way to get it up and running again?

(Eventually, I want to be able to run a shell script to delete and then reinstall these files when I want to, but I have to learn how first, so if you can tell me how to do that as well, I'd appreciate it. I have MacMinder installed on her computer, which is a 90% solution to controlling her Internet access. I also want a way to 'ground' her from all wireless access.)

To disable the airport (sorry i don't know how to fix it) make sure you are an admin and your daughter is not then go into system preferences and on the network status drop down menu choose network port configurations. Then uncheck the tick box for airport access. Then to re enable it just recheck it. You may also want to make sure the system preferences are always locked by going into the security preference pane, then choosing require password to unlock each secure preference pane. Hope this helps a bit
Milo

P.s. This was on 10.3.9 so the preference panes might be slightly different

... but generally, it's the way to go.

To repair, you'll probably have to reinstall OS X. You should be able to do so without erasing the current OS/files though. Just do as if you were "updating" (well, downgrading, actually) to your original Tiger disk. Then reapply all the updates.

The best and cleanest way of action would, of course, be to make a good backup and then clean install Tiger, create two new users (you as admin, her as restricted user) and bring back her files/settings to that new user-account of hers...

Back