did anyone notice........

THEMACER

Registered
On the graphic section of the g5 when the compare the fps of the dual G5 to the pentium 4 machince, its not the xeon(fastest pc). Does that mean that apple was to scared to post the xeons fps compared to the g5's? is it cause the xeon is better for games? And on top of that the g5 got 337fps with the pro card, imagine the performance with the 9600. Im not saying i dont like the G5, im getting one, but just want to know the truth:D whats your view on this guys?

Does it matter? All this benchmarking stuff is getting out of hand. The G5 is going to be fast. Especially for graphics, video, audio and number crunching. It will be very fast for games too with a top of the line graphics card. Maybe it won't be quite as fast for Doom 3 as a specced out custom PC, so what? Any new games will still look nice and play well.

Yes i understand that but isnt the fastest personal computer, be fastest at gaming too?? Doesnt it have a new generation 9800 pro video card? So why isnt it the fastest gaming machine too?

Apple is putting up those benchmarks because that's what you're supposed to compare it to. You don't buy an Intel Xeon computer for your desk, you buy a pentium. From the impression I got from the Keynote though, the dual G5 is a little bit faster than the dual xeon.

Maybe the P4 is actually faster than the Xeon when it comes to gaming. But seriously, using a Xeon for games is like using an Xserve for games, isn't it?

If the dual xeon in not a desktop machine, then why did apple campare the g5 to it? because its the fastest windows machine? why isnt the dual xeons a desktop machine and why is it like the xserve?

Xeon is not the fastest Intel beast when it is gaming time believe it or not! P4 is the Intel gaming beast! :)

Xeon is for Workstations and Servers according to Intel and the same goes for Itanium1/2. P4, again according to Intel, is for Desktop systems... :rolleyes:

While one can argue that Xeon, Itanium and any other Workstation/Server beast out there can be used for Desktop tasks, I prefer to follow the official (=Intel) language here because it makes things pretty clear... :D

Apple compared G5 to both P4 and Xeon systems just to show to the world how REALLY fast the G5 is! :p Not only to show that it is faster than ANY Intel CPU but cheaper too! :D I wish they did the same thing with Itanium1/2 though... Then again who buys Itanium1/2 for Workstation usage or even for simple Server tasks? :p

G5 rules! I cannot wait for my Dual G5/2GHz :D

I agree that the bench-marks are getting out of hand. I wish Apple wouldn't use them, but I understand why they do. After OS X came out, the issue of speed is something that Apple wants to address in the minds of their consumers.

It's a smart move.

Also, I'm getting a dual G5!! But CDW is backordered. I won't have it delivered until September 10th!!! Ouch!

But I didn't buy it because it's the fastest desktop computer in the world, I bought it because it's the fastest mac in the world. :)

anybody who gets a Xeon specifically for gaming is probably a no-girlfriend loser.

apple machines are made powerful for the creative/scientific community for the most part.

What about an Xserve specifically for gaming?

It's kind of hard for Apple to address the benchmark issue and prove that the G5 actually is faster than everything else when Wintel Weenies keep denying the benchmarks and calling Apple and Veritest liars.

I believe Jobs said that they picked the dual-Xeon to compare to the G5 because the P4 will not do dual processors.

I would imagine that a top-of-the-line P4 would be a better gaming machine than a dual-Xeon machine. What games are optimized for dual processors?

Also, I think the G5 test machine was running a 9600 Pro not 9800. But, I'm too lazy to look.
[EDIT: Actually, I'll bet all the machines were using the same gfx processor. After all, it was supposed to be a fair test.]

Doug

The Xeon is for workstations and high-intensity applications, not for games, anyway. The G5 works for both purposes, and any other you could throw at it.

I want one.

Back