Did Microsoft pay Adobe against Apple?

Luca

Registered
Did you notice: Adobe Illustrator 10 for OS X is out... at the same time as Windows XP. How long OS X users have been waiting before Adobe releases this product for them ? Months! And for XP users? Just a few days...
Congratulations everyone, thanks to XP, Adobe will cover its $$$$$$$$ losses now.
Bullsh*t!!!

While I love a conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, Adobe supporting WinXP so quickly has nothing to do with Adobe and Microsoft teaming up to conquer Apple. It's very simple. WinXP is just Windows2000 with a prettier (ahem) UI - and since Illustrator has worked on NT/2000 since 1996, there was probably nothing to adjust to make it work with XP.

OS X, on the other hand, was a new ball game for Adobe and their engineers probably had to learn alot of new techniques to get their software carbonized, not to mention that Apple's Carbon libraries were (are) a work in progress, so until they became solidified, Adobe was hesitant to release any software based on it.

As for Adobe, the Register has an interesting article that says all their major apps will be carbonized in the next 6 months. I won't hold my breath, but it would be nice.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/22676.html

Adobe has said from the BEGINNING that all of their apps would appear on OS X according to that application's regular development cycle.

This means that each app will appear on OS X when the next major version is ready.

There are business and development reasons for doing the application releases in this fashion. There is no conspiracy.

FaRuvius

Adobe product for XP is a marketing issue, I mean all Adobe's current products that runs on Windows 2000 will run on XP without any problem. (or just minor UI issues).

Adobe product for OS X though, is a technical issue. porting code for pre os X to OS X is not a minor work.

Adobe will not abandon Mac. they dominate this market, and I guess they can't even dream about this on Windows....

Adobe will not abandon Mac. they dominate this market, and I guess they can't even dream about this on Windows....

True, Corel Draw beats Freehand and Illustrator together in sales. Also Paint Shop Pro is selling well too.

Back