Difference between various DUAL USB IBOOK G3 motherboards???

kaarelcool

Registered
Hi!

I have a IBOOK G3 12" DUAL USB 500MHZ with that problem...

http://www.macosx.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-47851.html

Now I have decided,that the only way to use it normally again,is to change its logic board.(motherboard) I have already tried my friends IBOOK G3-700
logic board,which suits to my IBOOK perfectly (exept for one screwspot) The problem was,that it was also with defect.(sometimes it booted, sometimes
just showed blue screen,sometimes stripes and lines and so on) Okey...here comes the main question...

Which Ibook G3 motherboard will work with my IBOOK 12" G3 500? I read that I can only use G3 500MHZ-600 motherboards with it,but obviously I can use also G3 700 motherboard and if I can use G3 700 board,then regarding to many online shops,which are selling IBOOK motherboards,the G3 700,G3 800 and G3 900 motherboards are the same,so...?

There should be also some difference between 12" and 14" IBOOK G3 motherboards...?

Can someone please enlighten me,so that I could choose the best option for me :(

Big tnx...

Kaarel from Estonia.

One other major difference among the various G3 iBook 12" models (6 different models, I think) is the video available on the logic board. There's around 4 different display panels, and the video on a different logic board may/ or may not drive the internal display properly. A 14" logic board is going to be physically too big in all cases.

So I can use all 12" IBOOK G3 motherboards in my IBOOK G3 500 and I can not use 14" IBOOK G3 motherboards? Can someone give me a good,certain answer...

The certain answer: No 14" logic board will fit in your 12" case
Which 12" MIGHT fit in your case? There's 7 different models, at least 3 different internal frames (the logic board attaches to this), with at least 7? actual different logic boards. Apple may actually have have more than this. The physical mounting screws are mostly in the same locations, but as you can see, some are different. The only sure bet? Get a replacement (whatever it is) for your exact model (whatever that is)
These are Apple's model names for the 12" G3 iBooks
iBook (16 VRAM)
iBook (Opaque 16 VRAM)
iBook (32 VRAM)
iBook (800MHz 32 VRAM)
iBook (900MHz 32 VRAM)
iBook (Dual USB)
iBook (Late 2001)
most of these have distinct logic board differences, which one is yours?

Back