Different Filenames, Same Server

sari

Registered
Hi,

We have a small network with a Server. All of the computers see the same filenames on the shared folder on the server except one. This computer has several of the names which have changed significantly. Has anyone got any ideas?

Is the Server OS a version of Windows? Using Microsoft's Services for Macintosh can cause name truncation issues compared to what's really on the server or connecting over a different protocol, like SMB, for instance.

The server is a G5 running OSX server 10.3.9. The client is a G4 Mac running OSX too so there shouldn't be any problems with file names at all.

I've checked and these files are definitely displayed with a different name on this one machine compared to any of the other Mac accessing the same shared folder.

sari said:
The server is a G5 running OSX server 10.3.9. The client is a G4 Mac running OSX too so there shouldn't be any problems with file names at all.

I've checked and these files are definitely displayed with a different name on this one machine compared to any of the other Mac accessing the same shared folder.

Can you post screen shots from the two machines? Also, were you able to verify that the clients are all connecting over the same protocol? :)

Thanks!

Sorry, Haven't been in the office for a while. When I go in on Thursday, I will get this info.

sari said:
Sorry, Haven't been in the office for a while. When I go in on Thursday, I will get this info.

Are the names different or related. Maybe the way names are displayed are set different on the system from the other systems (western) is normal.

Good luck, Kees

Sorry, I got so bogged down in loads of other work, this became less important. We actually had some other issues too and an Apple Engineer came a-calling.

It was very simple - the client machine was on the server as a "windows' machine and this was causing the confusion.

Many thanks for your time

Back