different languages for different apps

Ashigaru

Registered
I just bought a MacBook a few months ago, and I am having trouble with languages. On my old PC, if you are switching between languages, such as Japanese and English, it remembers which languages you are using in which applications, and keeps them separate. Thus if I am simultaneously using an online dictionary (typing in Japanese), and typing a research paper in MSWord (in English), it keeps these separate and I can do both at the same time. However, on my Mac, it seems to change the language for *all* applications at once, so I have to constantly switch back and forth. Also, Word seems to change the font every time automatically to a Japanese font, so actually every time I switch between Firefox and Word I have to do things 3 times (switch languages, switch back, then switch the font back). This is supremely annoying and wastes my time, so I was wondering, is there any way to separate language switches on a Mac by application, or is it always system-wide?

It's by default for all languages.

There are 2 ways for this:

1) system preferences. First launch all the apps you need in your main language, then go to International, and reorder the languages, the one you want now to be on top of list.
When you now launch an application, it will be on this second language.
Drag the languages back to previous order so the next apps launched will be back to default language.

2) Scripts. Should be easy to make a script to do this - in fact I have one at home that I'll look if it's still there, enabling you to launch the applications in selected languages, or even more than one language at a time. So TextEdit in English, and one TextEdit in Japanese on the same time. This might be useful for you.

There is probably also some program that does this..

You can also "get info" on the application you want to change the default language of in the Finder (select application in Finder, then hit "Cmd-i"). There on the languages field you can deselect languages until only the one you want is active.

Back