DIMM error? Does RAM go bad? Am I in trouble?

jeffjohnson312

Registered
Hi-

I've been unable to boot my G5 (Dual 2ghz, 1.5ram, Panther 10.3.1), I get the gray screen with the apple logo, and the progress wheel spins forever and the fan runs up to 10K rpm. I read on the forum of someone with a similar prob, thread suggested the PRAM, VRAM type fixes at startup, tried 'em, no change, (however one text string said something about "can't find IOPlatform") :eek: put the install disk in, ran that disk utility thing to check hardware, everything checked out, board, mass storage, but I got an error on 1/4 DIMM #3 (512kb chip). Does this mean that chip is bad? Can that hang up the booting? Am I screwed? Please tell me that I just upgrade the memory and all will be well...

Any input met with devout appreciation...

Try removing that DIMM and booting again to see whether that works. If it does, it really seems like that DIMM went bad...

Definitely could be bad ram. Anything can go bad. Looks like you have a 512 Chip that's bad. Take it out and see if it boots.

I'm thinking, remove the bad 512 chip, BUT, do I need to remove both since the Macs always say install RAM in pairs?

Then I will be left with 2 256's chips for memory, will OSX even boot up with that? Maybe I just need to get new RAM...

I just had a 250g ATA drive die on me last 2 months ago, now this, I didn't realize chips and drives could be so short lived...

Thanks so far.

Jeff

They should be installed in pairs for better performance, but you don't have to. You can remove the chip and it will boot with 256MB.

Back