Direct read of Airport Extreme USB disk

kinchang

Registered
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and not sure if this is the right place for this question.

Well I have bought a Seagate FreeAgent USB external harddisk for the Airport Extreme. I first re-formatted the harddisk as Mac OS Extended (no Journaled) using the MacBook before plugging to the Airport Extreme. Everything was well and I started to transfer data to the disk.

Today, I try to directly read the external harddisk by plugging it to the MacBook's USB. I can see the disk but when I click to explore it, there is a message say "... you do not have sufficient privilages..." and I can't further access it. I have tried to use different File Sharing methods with the Aiport Utility but samething.

Can anyone help?

Million thanks.

Kin

One thing you can try is :

1) Open Terminal from Applications -> Utilities
2) in the Terminal type cd /Volumes/<volume name of USB drive here>
3) type sudo ls -lah (sudo will ask for your password)
4) a list of the directories should be displayed with the 1st column showing access rights, the 3rd showing Owner, and the 4th showing Group

Most likely, your folders and files are owned by a different user than you are trying to view them as.

Thanks, Wraith. Yes, this works. Your help is appreciated.

Is that any way I can remove the access right control of the APE USB disk? So I can just access the USB harddisk with Finder.

Thanks again.

Kin

you could try a "sudo chown -R <username> *"

This will change the ownership of all the files to whatever to type for <username>. Make sure that you're in the /Volumes/<volume name of your usb drive> before running it.

Back