Directly Connecting a Printer Via Ethernet

wetzel

Registered
Hi, I would like to connect my Mac running Panther directly by ethernet to an HP Laserjet 9000dn with an internal Jetdirect printer server.

I am not sure if I need to assign IP addresses to both the computer and the printer to do this and how to do it (there doesn't appear to be an IP address for the computer in network preferences, and the printer has a default ip address of 0.0.0.0.)

Do I need to use a crossover or a patch cable?

I know squat about networking. I would definitely appreciate any help with the steps I need to take.

Thanks!

What model Mac are you using?

I know that most recent model Macs can do an 'in-adapter' crossover when 2 Macs are directly networked together, but I'm not positive if a Mac can do that with a printer. In any event, there is no harm in trying.

You would probably want to manually assign IP addresses to both Mac and printer - assuming the printer provides a way to do that. You could probably just use 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2.

One has been able to directly connect two Macs for a long time. How do you manually assign an IP address to the Mac? I could find no way to enter an IP address in network preferences.

Another solution would be to get a router. If you had a router, you could plug the printer in to a port and all your other computers into the remaining ports. All Mac's and the printer can then be set to receive a leased IP address from the router and all Mac's could print to this printer.

This router could also be hooked to a DSL or Cable modem so all the Mac's could surf the web too as an added bonus.

Is this 'set to receive a leased IP address' you speak of a standard set-up covered by normal router installation instructions?

Also, could I put Windows PCs on the router also?

'Is this 'set to receive a leased IP address' you speak of a standard set-up covered by normal router installation instructions?', yes.

'Also, could I put Windows PCs on the router also?', yes.

If you want to manually set your Mac's IP address, go into System Preferences/Network/Built-in Ethernet. In the TCP/IP pane, choose Manually from the Configure IPv4 pop-up menu. Then enter the address in the IP Address field.

Back