Directory Services Log error

snowgurl

Registered
One last ditch attempt to solve my problems ... I've had total freezes, many times a day, and it's only when I'm just moving the mouse around the finder -- even with no apps open. I just totally erased and reinstalled 10.2 yet again and haven't installed anything else on it, unplugged all of my USB things (printer, etc) so I could really isolate the problem. So, it had a freeze already again (been just a few minutes). Restarted again, did fsck -y, and no problems reported there. I don't get any kernel panics. After about 5 of the same freezes I looked in the logs folder I saw the Directory Services folder and there was a file in there called "directoryservices.error.log" -- open it and it said this:

2002-09-29 10:55:58 MDT - Can't unregister node ~BSD Configuration Files~Local since not registered

There were 5 or so of them matching each of the freezes I just had and nothing else.

I don't think it's the CD cuz I used the same CD to install on another machine and it runs like a charm (don't tell Apple). It's a G4 and I have an iMac here. I checked the memory and didn't seem to be the problem although I was wondering about the memory config -- do they have to match? I have the 128 factory and 256 extra.

What is this? What's the problem? Can I fix it? I'm at a total loss here and am really about to cry -- really I am.

Back