Disable 'ping' Return In Osx Firewall ?

Dean M

Registered
Hi. I ran a website scan http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 of my system for internet vunerability. Every thing was fine except they said my machine returned a 'ping' request and suggested turning off that ability in the firewall.
Can you access the built-in firewall in Mac OSX and do that ? Thanks.
Dean M.

It would be a firewall/security setting in your router, not the Mac firewall.

Also, are you on a highspeed connection with DHCP (dynamic ip address) or do you have a specific ip address assigned to you for your internet connection? This would make a difference too, I think.

I think you can do that by going to System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall > Advanced, and checking "Enable Stealth Mode".

However, if you have an external firewall, you should probably configure that instead (or in addition).

It would be a firewall/security setting in your router, not the Mac firewall.

Also, are you on a highspeed connection with DHCP (dynamic ip address) or do you have a specific ip address assigned to you for your internet connection? This would make a difference too, I think.

Hi. I am on high speed DHCP and I know the address, but I haven't checked to see if it is specific to my machine. I'm pretty sure it is random though.
My router/modem is supplied by Qwest as they provide the DSL, but my Internet Provider is Earthlink.net. I don't remember hearing or reading that the Qwest router/modem has its own firewall.......I'll look into it.....Thanks Natobassso........Dean M

I think you can do that by going to System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall > Advanced, and checking "Enable Stealth Mode".

However, if you have an external firewall, you should probably configure that instead (or in addition).

Hi Mikuro. I don't have an external firewall, unless it is in the Qwest router/modem. I have just checked the installed firewall Sharing/Firewall/Advanced and all three boxes are checked;
'Block UDP Traffic'
'Enable Firewall logging' and
''Enable Stealth Mode' ( scored a 100% on that), but no access to outgoing 'ping' response.....

Thanks for your time.........Dean M

If you are actually sitting behind a router/modem, then that box is what's sitting between you and the open internet. It's the firewall configuration on the router/modem that will determine whether a ping to your advertised IP address gets returned.

That's Mikuro's point. If you'd like to read more about your own modem/router setup, you might find the info here.

If you are actually sitting behind a router/modem, then that box is what's sitting between you and the open internet. It's the firewall configuration on the router/modem that will determine whether a ping to your advertised IP address gets returned.

That's Mikuro's point. If you'd like to read more about your own modem/router setup, you might find the info here.

Thanks billbaloney: I appreciate your input. I didn't understand the sequence and will certainly read the hyperlink you gave. Regards. Dean M
(And my apologies to Miduro).......

Back