disable save picture as desktop on tiger

esextod688

Registered
I have a mac lab that is managed by workgroup manager on a mac server. Do you know of a way to disable the right click and save image as desktop picture. I have students that keep changing the desktop background. I haven't found a way to disable it. I have it setup so they can't get to any of the preferences.

Are all the user accounts set to other than admin? Choose the lowest account type (no admin priveleges) and only allow the apps you want available. I believe you can disallow access to System Preferences which is where the desktop picture is edited.

They don't have acccess to the System Preferences it's set not to show up at all. what they have been doing is for ie go on the web find a picture and right click on a picture and select save picture as desktop. all macs authenicate throught AD. So they should be just standard users...they don't have admin rights.

They don't have acccess to the System Preferences it's set not to show up at all. what they have been doing is for ie go on the web find a picture and right click on a picture and select save picture as desktop. all macs authenicate throught AD. So they should be just standard users...they don't have admin rights.

Maybe you could limit their file save access to Drop Box. Wish I knew the answer to this, thought I had it.

I realize the OP is old, but here's your solution. Please understand that I am typing this from memory and not with a Mac in front of me:

Log in as the managed user, set the desktop to something like the Apple images that ship with the Mac (aqua, classic, etc.)

Log back in as the administrator.

As the administrator that controls Workgroup Manager and open Terminal and issue the following commands:

Code:
sudo chmod 777 /Users/<managed_user_name>/Library
It will prompt for the administrator's password... enter it.
Code:
sudo chmod 777 /Users/<managed_user_name>/Library/Preferences
Code:
sudo chmod 777 /Users/<managed_user_name>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

This will allow the administrator to access, alter, and use the managed user's desktop preferences list file and add it to the workgroup manager details list.

Open up Workgroup Manager and select the preferences for the managed user.

Make sure the desktop/screensaver option is unchecked and always managed for the System Preferences option.

Click on the "Detail" tab and add the com.apple.desktop.plist file to the list of managed preferences. Open this file once it is added.

A list of three items labeled "Once," "Often," and "Always are listed. Under the "Often" entry, there is an entry labeled "Background." Select it, and EDIT->COPY then select the "Always" entry and EDIT->PASTE. Save and exit. The desktop image that you selected for the managed user is now locked in and unchangeable.

Login as student to double check this.

A possible downside to this is that it prohibits the managed user from seeing files saved to the desktop. The files they save to the desktop are there, but they are invisible because that entry for the com.apple.desktop.plist file isn't set. To remedy this I enabled the "Documents" option for the managed dock preferences in the managed user's settings.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Also, I use Carbon Copy Cloner to ensure all Macs are the same in the lab.

Source: I work as a Computer Support Tech at a high school in a Mac Lab.

Back